Vinegar for Ants

By Kelly 1

It's that time of year and those annoying little friends are here. Out of a desire to be rid of them and not to spray poisonous bug spray around my sink and counter, I grabbed the bottle of white vinegar that I keep handy for cleaning just about any and all surfaces and gave them a "mist". Not sure if it was the acid or that they drowned in the stuff, but I just wiped their still (mostly) little forms away. This might be an offensive thing to some folks, but I think that they would prefer going to their ant promised land smelling of pickles than the noxious fumes which we can't even tolerate.

By Kelly from Burke, VA

Showing: Comments Sort

By Carolyn C. Cooke 19 222 Flag

We were besieged with coffee-ground-sized ants summer before last. Wish I had thought to try this. Nothing I did try worked, and professional pest control people wouldn't touch it. Conservatively, there were millions upon millions! Note: Loved your humor. Cay from FL

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By eileen 5 75 Flag

A couple more remedies:

1. I make a weak solution of Lavendar Oil (similar to vinegar) and sprayed it directly on them. The results were immediate! I had some tiny brown ants (not sugar or water) in my kitchen that showed up every morning. They didn't want anything, just wandered around, but were a nuisance. Guess they didn't like my cooking! I used Lavendar Oil for flies, so had the solution handy.

2. I have used Diatomateous Earth also. You can "google" uses for DE, for additional information. Wonderfully natural and green! The manufactured chemicals are pushed on us to make them $$.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Marie 2 8 Flag

To get rid of them almost permanently, mix 1 tablespoon of honey, 1 teaspoon of borax (20 Mule team) and a few drops of water. Smear some on a piece of cardboard, paper plate, etc. and set on floor near the ants. If you find the den outdoors, just dribble in on the ground nearby. In minutes they will be swarming all over it. They will take it back to their den and within a day or so will be gone for good. Another colony may move in later on, but it works every time.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Donna 5 Flag

I've used the borax and powdered sugar recipe and it works well. New colonies come back in time, but I just keep a plastic bucket with a lid and my mixture of borax and powdered sugar handy. I'm going to try the honey, too.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Janace Lynn M. 8 12 Flag

I have been using rock salt for outside and it kills the ants & weeds! We had a ton from last winter left over. And there was a ant bed right where I step out of my car. It didn't move either, it is gone!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Getting Rid of Ants
Getting Rid of Ants
Home and Garden Pest Control AntsJuly 23, 2012
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Getting Rid of Ants
Getting Rid of Ants
Ants on a Trumpet Vine
Keeping Ants Off a Trumpet Vine
spoonful of sugar
Can You Use Sugar Contaminated By Ants?
Flying ant on a white background.
Getting Rid of Flying Ants
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 12:08:09 AM on 10.0.0.191 in 800 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings