Walls With Multiple Layers of Wallpaper

I bought a 101 year old house and it has multiple layers of wallpaper that the previous owners painted over. It is buckling in certain spots where the wall meet the ceiling. The wallpaper is on all walls and ceilings just to let you know. I want to paint this but I am afraid that it will start to peel off worse than it already is. I also tried to take the wallpaper off in a small area and it was hard since there are to many layers. How can I fix the areas that need fixing without the buckling getting worse and without stripping all the wallpaper.

Faith from Philadelphia, PA

Answers:

Walls With Multiple Layers of Wallpaper

I have a 140 year old house, and chances are you have lathe & plaster and it is cracked. however STRIP THE WALLPAPER. Use a cutter that is round and runs over the paper then spray it 1 to 4 vinegar to water warmed in the microwave, let it for 30-60 minutes. When all paper is off, use mesh drywall tape to cover cracks and drywall compound, feathering out. PRIME and then paint. You will not regret it. (10/06/2006)

By Dakota

Walls With Multiple Layers of Wallpaper

My mother encountered this 50 years ago on the walls of our then-50-year-old house. Makes me wonder if people back then used wallpaper as insulation. She removed it all, one room at a time, put insulation in, and then plastered. (You might prefer drywall.) It was well worth it.

It's easier today with wallpaper-removing chemicals and tools. Be sure to get good advice and keep the area well-ventilated, of course. You want to live to tell us about it when it's done. (10/07/2006)

By Jantoo

Walls With Multiple Layers of Wallpaper

You'll have to rent a steamer from a wallpaper place and place water and vinegar to steam each layer of. (10/12/2006)

By LRP

Walls With Multiple Layers of Wallpaper
Blue and white retro wallpaper.
Cleaning Wallpaper
Removing Wallpaper That Has Been Painted, Gloved hand scraping off wallpaper.
Removing Wallpaper That Has Been Painted
Painting Over Wallpaper, Vintage Peeling Wallaper
Painting Over Wallpaper
cleaning grease off wallpaper
Cleaning Grease Off Wallpaper
🎉
🎄