Warm Halloween Costume Ideas

Category Costumes
Smiling baby in a Lamb Costume against a beige background
October can be quite chilly in many parts of the country. It is a good idea to consider warmer Halloween costumes in these areas. This is a guide about warm Halloween costume ideas.

If you live in a colder climate, buy your child's costume a size or two larger so s/he can wear sweats or a jacket underneath without ruining the effect.

By bebhinne from Chicago

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

As a child, I lived in rural Illinois. October there is cold. Sometimes it snows! The flimsy store-bought costumes leave everyone shivering. A warm costume is worth the effort.

Grab a set of black sweats and puffy fabric paint and let your imagination flow! Because the sweats are so dark, they'll be "invisible" in shadowy Halloween parties, so whatever you draw will make a bold impression.

It's easy to draw a skeleton. (Make a social statement by wearing a bikini over the top.) Use simple straight lines to turn yourself into a stick figure. Become the night sky with planets and stars.

If you have a mask, headband or facepaint, put them together. A pretty pink face can be a flower if you add a stem and leaves to the shirt. Lighten up a monster mask by drawing a tiny body under the neck.

The best part? You can peel the paint away the next morning and keep the sweats for everyday use.

By Anda

Comment Like this photo? 7

I need some help with ideas for a Halloween costume for a 1 1/2 year old. I looked at Walmart but the costumes for that age are just so boring and standard. So I was trying to think of some on my own. Any ideas? They also need to be warm since are weather is getting really cold.

Natalie

Answers:

Warm Halloween Costumes

Hi, my number one grand daughter took 1st prize 12 years ago with a costume I made for her using a blanket sleeper. The sleeper was pink (of course), I attached a fluffy shower scrubby for the tail. We had the sunglasses, bunny ears, an inflated drum and I fashioned batteries using toilet paper tubes. Voila,"The Energizer Bunny". Several costumes can start using only a footed blanket sleeper especially the numerous colors they now come in. I'll be glad to help more. Just send me a message. (10/15/2008)

By keeper60

Warm Halloween Costumes

She could be a flower garden. Green snow cap and green sweatshirt are the base, then glue or sew on silk flower heads or vines onto both the sweatshirt and cap. Have fun! (10/15/2008)

By darlene

Warm Halloween Costumes

Natalie, one of the cutest Halloween costumes I made when my girls were little was a dalmatian (I wish I could include the photos, but they are at home and I am not!)

I started with a white sweatsuit and white stocking cap. I bought inexpensive black washclothes (but you could use any black fabric) and cut out "spots" and ears, which I stitched on. They wore their black and white saddle shoes and I painted their noses black. So simple to make, and the girls were warm AND adorable.

The following year I bought one black and one grey sweatsuit and we had a cat and a mouse! Use your imagination. Try second-hand stores for the sweatsuits; black could be a spider, pink a bunny, orange a pumpkin...and homemade costumes are much more fun than storebought.

HAPPY HAUNTING! (10/15/2008)

By KareninMissouri

Warm Halloween Costumes

Hi! If you happen to resort to buying a costume or make one that's relatively thin, we under-layer the costumes with long johns or tight fitting pajamas. :) (10/15/2008)

By cerealwife

Warm Halloween Costumes

We live in MN so anything from a sweatsuit! My son was a dalmatian one year too. Another year a skeleten - a black sweatsuit with white "bones" tacked on. One year my daughter was a pumpkin - green sweatsuit and I made an orange pumpkin to go over it. Cartoon characters - one year my son was peek a choo, a yellow sweatsuit. Best part - take off all the extras and your child can wear the outfit until outgrown! My daughter has been a witch, and a snow-angel using a simple a-line nightdress pattern and bundling her up underneath the dress. (10/15/2008)

By Camille

Warm Halloween Costumes

When my kids were small, I bought character pajamas for them as the base to the outfit. They stay warm, look cute, and then you can continue to use them - saves money! (10/16/2008)

By Marie

Warm Halloween Costumes

The funniest costume I ever saw could be done on sweat pants, or an old coat. Various pieces of laundry, socks, etc. were just safety-pinned at random on regular clothing. All party long the creator told people "I'm static cling!"

(10/16/2008)

By londa

Warm Halloween Costumes

How about a snowman? Start with a white sweatsuit and add black(coal) buttons. Use a white cap and continue to decorate. (10/16/2008)

By carol

Warm Halloween Costumes

Another mom who used sweat suits: Grey suit - add ears to the hood and a tail w/mousetrap snapped to it - MOUSE! Black suit - add 4 black arms to jacket, run strong black thread from real arms through added arms - SPIDER! Or, black cape and white make-up and fangs - DRACULA! We had alot of fun w/sweats! (10/17/2008)

By Teri

Warm Halloween Costumes

I always get the kids a WIG to go with their costumes. It keeps them warm like a hat but doesn't look like one. Also, turtlenecks under everything (flesh toned or pink) and sweats under tights. My girls are very particular about the "look" and would freeze if I let them. (10/18/2008)

By lhegs

Warm Halloween Costumes

When my oldest grandson was a baby, we used black sweats (both top/bottom) and made him a skunk costume.

Using a black stocking hat, we glued a strip of white faux fur down the center and back of the hat. Also down the back of the shirt - for when his coat was off. We made and stuffed a tube of faux fur and hand stitched it to the waistband for his tail.

My daughter used face paint to draw whiskers on his cheeks.

It was so cute! And, yes - he was a little stinker! The costume was a perfect match! (10/20/2008)

By KJ