Washer Drains But Won't Spin

The spin cycles have stopped working on my older Maytag washer. All other cycles run fine and it fills and drains properly. When it comes time to spin, it just completely stops. If I lift and then shut the lid, it seems to kick start the spin, but then it stops again after 10 seconds or so. (It will temporarily start for as many times as I open and close the lid.)

Is this any kind of easy fix I could do myself? The washer is so old, it wouldn't be worth calling a repair man. (I could just get another washer.) Thanks!

By graphixgrl from Indianapolis, IN

Answers:

Washer Drains But Won't Spin

I had the same thing happen. My husband took the bottom kick plate off to expose the motor, and underneath there is a rubber type boot where the water drains (I know you said it drains ok). Take it off. I found over $10.00 in change caught in there. Once removed it worked fine. Worth a look. (09/14/2010)

By hicknny

Washer Drains But Won't Spin

It's probably the transmission. If it is as old as you say, I would seriously consider just replacing the machine for a new one. I believe that would be more cost effective. This is just my opinion. (09/16/2010)

By Deborah570

Washer Drains But Won't Spin

My washer quit spinning, and it was a small part that attached to the motor. I had called the repair man, who diagnosed the problem over the phone, and had the problem fixed that afternoon. The service call was about $75-$100, you could not buy a new machine for that. There is no transmission or gears on a washing machine. My repairman told me that this "no spin" problem is very common. I would call a repair person.

By the way, my machine is 11 years old, and good to go for many more, now that the little part is replaced. (09/21/2010)

By louel53

Washer Drains But Won't Spin
open washing machine
Spin Cycle Not Working on Washer
man with head inside front load washer
Clearing a Clogged Washer Drain
A repairman looking at a washing machine.
Repairing a Washer That Won't Drain or Spin
clothes in washer spinning
Washer Making Noise During Spin Cycle
🎉
🎄