Washing Dry Clean Only Pants

I have a pair of pants that say "dry clean only", the content of the material is 95 percent cotton and 5 percent Elastane. Can I wash them in my washing machine at home? Also, why would they say dry clean only?

Washing Dry Clean Only Pants

MOST of the mfrs who specify dry-clean-only do it so as to avoid any POTENTIAL problems with washing. IN other words, so many people today don't use gentle wash or use laundromats etc that the chance of ruining a garment are great & the Mfr doesn't want a bunch of backlash, so they err on the "better safe than sorry" side. IMHO!

Me? I wash about 90% of my DRY Clean Only clothes. Using GENTLE COLD wash, using WOOLITE if I have it (shampoo if I don't).

SOMETIMES, I tumble in the dryer on low-med heat to knock off a little wetness then LAY FLAT TO DRY (heat from the dryer is the worst threat to most things).

I have lots of trouble with RAYON--it can shrink up & wrinkle horribly like 3 sizes smaller! Sometimes it can be ironed out--sometimes NOT!

I always send woolens to the dry cleaner since I ruined a CHICO's wool cardigan $180! Cold wash water caused the wool to seize up like a steel trap--never put it in the dryer, but it went from a Ladies LARGE or XLARGE to a 3T (toddler)!

Cotton / elastane pants could possibly shrink or lose it's color or finish (if it's shiny or has a special coating). I, personally, would probably soak & swish them in a mild detergent/cold water, rinse, hang to drip off wetness, then lay flat to dry.

But it depends on your investment. It's a Learn-By-Doing kind of thing. (10/25/2007)

By luvvy

Washing Dry Clean Only Pants

You can purchase dryer sheets that dry clean your cloths. I find these do a great job just follow the directions on the package. You can find these at dollar stores also (10/27/2007)

By Madeline

Washing Dry Clean Only Pants
Pants with a permanent crease.
Adding a Permanent Crease to Pants
A package of cornmeal.
Dry Carpet Cleaner Recipes
Cleaning "Dry Clean Only" Clothing at Home, Row of Dry Cleaned Shirts
Cleaning "Dry Clean Only" Clothing at Home
Removing Pine Tar from Baseball Pants. Baseball Player with Bat on White Background
Removing Pine Tar from Baseball Pants