Washing Magnalite Cookware

I wash my Magnalite cookware in the dishwasher, using dishwasher powder. This leaves some sort of residue on my pots. When I dry them (I never use the heat dry cycle), the residue leaves a black-silverish stain on the dish towel and you can almost feel the residue when you rub your hand on the outside of the pot. I have to scrub them with Chore Boy after taking them from the dishwasher to get the residue off. The water from the washing is dark silver or black. Am I not supposed to wash my Magnalite in the dishwasher?

Carolyn from Shreveport, LA

Answers:

Washing Magnalite Cookware

Magnalite is made of aluminum, which does not do well in the dishwasher, because of the chemicals in the dishwasher soap. You should wash it by hand with Dawn or other regular dish detergent, and if needed, use a scrubber for anything that sticks.

Good luck. (10/16/2007)

By sheilamay

using magnalite cookware

Yesterday I made a key lime pie using my Wagner Magnalite pot and the acid in the lime juice caused dark "stuff" to come off the pan. I had to throw the pie out as it also tasted odd. I would suggest not cooking anything acidic (citrus, tomatoes) in Magnalite.
(03/02/2009)

By Linda