Washing Root Vegetables

Category Vegetables
Washing Root Vegetables
Prior to cooking or serving, raw root vegetables need to be cleaned. This is a guide about washing root vegetables.

I tried once or twice, years ago, to get into using those bristled vegetable brushes to scrub my potatoes and other veggies. It just didn't work for me. The bristles always wore down entirely too quickly. For years now I've kept a Scotch-Bright scratch pad (the flat kind) on the left side of my kitchen sink. I use it exclusively for scrubbing vegetables. When it gets smelly, I toss it into the washer with the other kitchen items. When it gets too worn, I replace it. Works for me!

By JustPlainJo from Springfield, OH

When my harvest is in, I clean my carrots and cukes and any hard skinned veggie by rinsing out my washer and fill it with cold water and throw in my veggies. I let them soak then put them in the spin cycle and after the spin stops my veggies are totally clean. No soap is needed. Saves a lot of time if you have bushels of veggies to clean.

Source: I got this recipe from my mother in law 25 years ago.

By Rae (Raymonde) from NY

Put your washer to use helping to get your garden produce clean. This is a guide about use your washer for cleaning vegetables.

dirty vegetables

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

After harvesting carrots, potatoes or baby cukes, place them in the bottom of your washer without soap and allow them to soak to loosen the dirt (without using the agitator). Then spin them. This combined with the spin cycle will cause them to become squeaky clean.