Washing an Autographed Shirt

I have an autograph signed on a shirt with a Sharpie. How do I wash the shirt without losing the signature? What can I put over it to preserve it?

Allison

Answers:

Washing an Autographed Shirt

Don't wash it because you will loose the autograph and that will be a shame, framing it is the best way. (03/10/2007)

By Lambchop Western Australia

Washing an Autographed Shirt

Spray with Craftgard. You can get it at Joann Fabrics, it works great. Just spray, let dry, and wash. (03/13/2007)

By Penny

Washing an Autographed Shirt

If it's really that important for you to wash it, why not coat the autograph first with a clear coat of clear fabric paint or fabric medium. But first take another similar piece of fabric, then sign your name to the test shirt with a Sharpie, then coat it with the clear coat, let it dry for at least a day. Then wash the test fabric in cold water, gentle cycle first. Just to make sure the technique works.

Do not dry clean, as this will most surely remove the autograph.

When my son was a teenager, he got an autograph of his favorite pro aggressive inline skater. (signed with a black Sharpie) Every time I washed that shirt, the autograph faded a little bit. (03/13/2007)

By Cyinda

Washing an Autographed Shirt

I wouldn't wash it. Sharpie will fade or disappear completely. If you must wash it, hand wash with no soap or gentle stuff like Woolite and do not put in the dryer. (03/14/2007)

By Autumn

Washing an Autographed Shirt

Can you or someone you know "sew" the autograph on? I mean, stitch over it with black thread to make it more permanent? I know some shops have embroidery machines that do script, but I'm not sure if they could customize the script.
Good luck (03/24/2007)

By apmacik

Washing an Autographed Shirt

I put vinegar on the shirt then washed it and my shirt hasn't faded in 10 years and I still wash it. (10/23/2007)

By nobody

Washing an Autographed Shirt
T-shirt
Tightening T-shirt Sleeves
Pressure Washing a House
Pressure Washing Your House
Closeup of African American Man with Dreadlocks
Washing Dreadlocks
Nice light blue dress shirt.
Making Shirt Collars Last Longer
🎉
🎄