Water Backing Up in Dishwasher and Disposal

Category Plumbing
Repairing a garbage disposal.
If your plumbing is backing up into your dishwasher and garbage disposal, you may need to contact a plumber to repair the problem. This is a guide about water backing up in dishwasher and disposal.

My dishwasher has a bad odor and water is backed up in it. What can I do?

By Lisa from VA

Answers

Best Answer

If the machine is still working, sort of, but runs a cycle without completely pumping out, try running vinegar through it or the Jet Dry dishwasher cleaner. If the machine no longer pumps out, you could look to see if there are clogs in the pump out filter (this is in different places in different machines, you have to get in there and look around), and see if you can manually unclog it. If not, it is time to call a repair person.

We bought an older home with a new dishwasher and disposal. We are constantly having problems with the system. Using the disposal for anything causes debris to come up in the other side of the sink and we also have water that backs up into the bottom of the dishwasher, I assume from the disposal.

A plumber adjusted the clear drainage hose that goes from the disposal to the dishwasher, but I can see dirty water and black stuff in the hose. I have checked under the sink and all parts seem to be in place and installed properly. Any suggestions for fixing the issue so I can use both appliances without the hassle?

Gwen

Answers:

I can understand your frustration. Sounds like you have a real problem here to deal with.

I am not a licensed plumber, but I think with what info you gave it sounds like a restricted or under sized drain between your sink/dishwasher and the main drain. You could try Roto-Rootering it, but at best, it might be a temporary fix. Really sounds like a new section of drain is needed.

Now, the good news. The problem with the water draining back into the dishwasher can be fixed by installing a "Dishwasher Air-Vent" which can be purchased at any "Big Box" store.

By HTH

I'm not a licensed plumber either, but sounds like the drain pipe needs purging. Your drain line is likely filled with "disposal debris" or if you have galvanized pipe, it's likely blocked with rust. Have the hubby clean the system chemically or with a "snake". I too have an older home (money pit). A hot solution of TSP (Trisodiumphosphate) can work wonders on cleaning disposal drain systems. Read the directions; it can stain metal.

By Cajun62234

I don't think your problem has anything to do with your appliances. I think the problem is with your plumbing system further down the line. Good luck.

By carol in PA

I had this problem a few years ago myself. The plumber said disposals can't handle red meats. It shreds it and then if it's not completely flushed out from lines it will eventually cause a blockage in lines. I had already cleaned the trap and did my own snake job on it, but didn't have a long enough snake like he had. He cleaned mine out and it looked awful with the other stuff all tangled in it, haven't put meat scraps down it since and haven't had the problem since.

By KELLYCAJUN