Water Conservation - What You Can Do

Considering the fact that we are now in a Stage 3 Water Conservation, I was wondering what else could be done to support our city's situation.

I have heard about people who keep extra containers in the kitchen in which to pour the water that is used for rinsing veggies and other light kitchen duties, but not suitable for drinking. I always thought it was a great idea, but never got around to doing it until now.

Today, I watered two very large planters for free by using water from rinsed veggies and running water through the purifier for a couple of minutes, first thing in the morning to clear it out. Not bad for a couple of minutes' worth of work.

By the time I ran the disposal, I was feeling badly that the extra water was going into the sewer instead of in the garden. If you do this, you will be surprised at how much water actually goes down the drain when you quickly fill up double quart pitchers doing routine kitchen maintenance. Once the Water Conservation ends, I think that the water jug from veggie washing will continue.

By Holly from Richardson, TX

Water Conservation - What You Can Do

I keep a square dishpan in my sink that I run water into when I rinse something, wash my hands, etc. I even rinse my dishes over it when I wash by hand and later scoop up the dishwater too. I then empty it into a 3 gallon bucket which I take outside to water my flowers, plants, trees, and garden. All my plants are nice and green.

By susanmajp

Water Conservation - What You Can Do

Why use the disposal? Start a compost pile. If your refuse is too little, maybe the block club could contribute.

By kelleno

Water Conservation Tips
Homemade Water Guns
Homemade Water Guns
Well water running a in a sink.
Removing Rust from Well Water
Water Softener
Buying a Water Softener
View of the water line.
Flushing a Refrigerator Water Line