Watering Your Plants When You Are On Vacation

Tips for watering you plants when you travel. Post your ideas!

Watering Your Plants While on Vacation

If you cannot afford fancy watering systems for your houseplants while on vacation, gather them all up and place in the bathtub with an inch of water. They will be just fine for at least two weeks.

By Bobbie (07/19/2005)

By ThriftyFun

Watering Potted Plants While You Are Away

Fill a one to two liter bottle with water; insert upside down into soil. As soil dries out it will absorb the water. Depending on the size of your pot and type of plant, one liter will last one to two weeks.

By J.Sorensen (07/22/2005)

By ThriftyFun

This worked for me, when we were gone for a month.

Hanging plants I enclosed in plastic (from dry cleaner) and closed with a twist tie.

Other plants I did a similar thing with plastic bags.

Tip: succulent plants if enclosed in plastic will rot from the moisture.

This method worked much better than having someone come over to water them! (07/27/2005)

By Syd

Fill a container with water. Cut a section of COTTON rope. Dip one end into the water, the other end into the soil. The rope will carry the water to the pot. Make sure the reservoir of water is large enough for the job.

Larger pots need more than one rope to keep them moist. If it is very hot, use plastic wrap to cover the water reservoir, to help minimize evaporation. (08/09/2005)

By artdzyne

Water Worm is an easy to install, inexpensive way to solve the problem, lasts up to 4 weeks or more. http://www.sykart.com/keenie/worm/ (01/20/2007)

By pj

I water my plants well before leaving on vacation and close all my blinds and turn the heat down. They works great they are alive when I get home and not dried out. (01/31/2008)

By smilingfaces88

Self Watering Houseplant
Watering Houseplants On Vacation
An aerial photo of Disneyland.
Saving Money on a Disney Vacation
Saving Money a Ski Vacation, Sisters on Ski Vacation
Saving Money a Ski Vacation
Saving Money on Vacation Rentals
Saving Money on Vacation Rentals
Caribbean hotel
Caribbean Vacation Tips