Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Wearing New Dentures

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
New Dentures

Getting accustomed to false teeth takes some patience. This guide is about wearing new dentures.

Solutions: Wearing New Dentures

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Medijel for Denture Pain

I had all my teeth out in Jan 2014, lower and upper. My dentist told me to go to him on the 8th week exactly to get impressions made for dentures, I did this and he took them. Two weeks later, I went in and they were made but did not fit properly. He took them for another 8 days or so and did the cutting down, etc. So in total, I waited for 16 weeks before he eventually gave them to me.

The top set are totally no problem at all. They fit perfectly and he waited until the gums had gone a bit harder. I can wear them without any problems, no fixing gooey mess, etc. The bottom ones are so painful I can't do it. He told me they would take a long time to harden and it seems he is right.

However, I found that Medijel gel works really well as it numbs the area. I get it from the pound shop, BTW. It is quite expensive from a chemist. I now put in the bottom set for a few hours a day. You really have to wait until the gums are healed. Yes, I did get shards of tooth coming out all over the gums after the op. Keep on trying and don't give up. If our Grannys did it we can, and I am 47. They got so thin with acid erosion that they were loose. It is not great but keep on going and if they are not tight, go back and sort it out.

Sorry this is long but it proves that persistence pays off. Go get medijel gel and rub it around the gums every few hours. When it wears off, take them out and then have a rest . Good luck peeps, cos it will get better. I ate mashed up stuff for 16 weeks but, hey, I lost weight.

By

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Wearing New Dentures.

Question: Eating with Dentures

I have a full plate on the top and mini implants/partial on the bottom. How do you properly bite into food (sandwich, pizza, etc.) so the top plate stays in place?

By NH

Most Recent Answer

By Lilian05/15/2013

It helps to push finger food (like a burger) against the upper denture when you bite down on it.
I learned that as a tip on a denture site I was on.
http://denturesanewsmile.ning.com/
It's a group of new and experienced denture wearers giving each other tips on how to cope.

Question: Is Gargling With Salt Water Damaging to Dentures?

I recently had extractions and rinsed with salt water. Now I see white deposits on my new denture. Is salt damaging to my denture. How can I fix this?

Ellen

Most Recent Answer

By Louise B. [5]04/05/2014

I don't know anything about dentures, but it seems to me that they should not be bothered by salt water. How would you eat salty foods if they were to be damaged by it? Perhaps a quick phone call to your denturist to discuss the proper cleaning options would be in order.

Question: Can't Close Lips Completely With New Dentures

I got immediate dentures (top and bottom) Friday after having 19 teeth extracted. It is now Wednesday and I still can't close my lips properly. When should I be able to? I went yesterday for adjustments for sore spots and was told I am healing well and my bite is fine. I am just really embarrassed that I can't close my lips and if I force them closed I look like I have a huge wad of chew in my bottom lip and my top looks the same!

By April

Best Answers

By sharon504/04/2014

Tell your dentist they need to shave the top part of the gums down there's too much up there that you can't close your mouth.

Best Answers

By Robyn [361]03/21/2014

The permanent ones you will receive later should fit perfectly, but the ones you wear right now are just temporary ones.

http://www.ehow.com/how-does_543412 ... eeth-extractions-ready-dentures.html

Question: New Dentures Don't Fit Properly

I just got my 2nd pair of upper dentures, but there is only 12 teeth on it and my previous ones there were 14. My problem is I've had them realigned 3 times. But when eating I keep biting the back of my tongue.

I asked why there was only 12 teeth and the dentist wasn't sure why, but I'm thinking this may be the reason for my problem. Also I now have a noticeable lisp which is embarrassing. What can be done to correct this? Can I request them to make them right?

By MC

Best Answer

By Frugal Sunnie [11]02/03/2014

Did you pay for the new dentures? Not that it matters, but sometimes the dentist's staff will be less diligent - clearly the lab made a mistake and your dentist should be fixing the error!

No-one should put up with faulty dentures, especially ones that have come back minus two teeth and with the added 'bonus' of making you lisp. Telephone to the office and tell them you are extremely distressed, and need the problem fixed 'yesterday'.

I had a similar problem (lisp) and it wasn't until I reminded the dentist and staff I'd paid for those out of my pocket and wasn't satisfied to have a lisp at my age that they fixed the upper plate. He had the nerve to say 'Oh sorry, I thought you were one of the pay-scale patients'. Oh brother did I let him have it for that one - No-one should be made to accept poor dentistry based on low-scale payments!

I moved countries, I now live in the UK. Truthfully it's the same here, and if my British dentist ever pulls that less-than-his-best on me, I'll pitch a major fit!

Question: Temporary Dentures Don't Fit Well

I had 6 extractions yesterday and temporary dentures put in straight away. The dentures fit one side pretty well, but don't fit probably the other side. Is this because the gums are so open after the extractions?

By Michelle

Question: New Dentures

I just had 14 teeth extracted on Thursday and they put my permanent dentures in before they woke me up. How often should I be removing them? I'm worried about leaving them out or in too long, worried about swelling, etc. Also the teeth are not straight. The top teeth are leaning slightly to the left, and the bottom are really leaning the opposite way. It's very obvious. The oral surgeon said the fit is great, but the bite is way off. I'm hoping this can be fixed. Does anyone know?

I'm having heart surgery June 20 which is why I did my teeth first. I'll be on blood thinners forever after. Also, the lab made the mistake of leaving the invoice in the box with my dentures. They charged my dentist $264. My dentist charged me $1172. I am hoping this amount includes the next set of teeth that are 10 months down the road. I think that markup is insane. Well, anyone with any experience with this, I'd love to hear it. Thanks.

By Sandy from Pittsburgh

Most Recent Answer

By cybergrannie [30]06/05/2013

Hi - first off it does not matter what your dentist paid to have the dentures made (although you may not like it) as he is charging you for many more services than just the final molding/teeth.

You should be getting free fittings and certainly advise about the way your dentures fit and feel.
You agreed to his price before you started this procedure so you really cannot "complain" about the cost - but - you should have been given a paper or something stating what that payment covers. Check on this and consult your dentist about the help you need with the bite or pain or anything dealing with the procedure as all of this was probably stated in the papers you signed.

Good luck - but get started soon.

Question: How Soon to Get Fit For Dentures

I had to have all my teeth pulled, all 18 of them; they were all bad. My dentist told me to wait three weeks to get my dentures for the swelling to go down. He said that they would give me more trouble if they made them right then. He said that they would fit better if I wait. I've been reading a lot of articles were people have been getting them right away. So what is better to wait or get them the same time the teeth are removed. Please help. I go back the 24of this month to get them. I am scared to death.

By Lori

Most Recent Answer

By Carol Chileen [2]04/22/2013

I had 19 teeth pulled and they put my teeth in my mouth that afternoon. I had a bit of an unpleasant night but no trouble after that. I went to Affordable Dentures and got their New Denture Wearer Package and then I got a reline after just a few weeks and an new set of teeth after 12 months. I have had them for over 3 years and they fit fine. It can be scary but I am so glad I went that route!

Question: Leaving In New Dentures

I had all of my upper teeth pulled and I put my dentures in right away. My question is how long should I leave them in? I have heard to leave them in two weeks or a week before taking them out because of swelling. When can I take them out?

By Joyce

Most Recent Answer

By Joyce Horner [5]03/17/2013

My dentist told me to take mine out to clean and put them right back in. His words were,"Your teeth live in your mouth, not in a cup by the bed." I've had mine for about 25 years. I don't use any of the glue stuff. He said not to or they would never fit right. It was several years before I could leave them out for overnight without my mouth swelling and them not fitting right for several hours after I put them back in. They will be uncomfortable for quite awhile but if you had bad teeth for very long, keep in mind, it will get better! Smile!

Question: Eating After Getting New Dentures

I had to have all teeth removed that were left after accident. Also I had dentures put right in. My face is swollen, mouth and gums hurt. I need to find away to eat. Please no more jello or pudding. Oatmeal is running to going. What else is there? Please help!

By Doris from MO

Most Recent Answer

By Chris03/18/2011

ORZO - that little pasta will be your best friend and this is delicious! Sautee some in a little butter, add a small amount of hot broth. When the broth is gone, add a little more and whatever herbs you like. Continue to add broth every time it soaks into the pasta. This will make it creamy. Test occasionally until you get the consistency you like. You can add more butter if you like. Any leftovers heat well in the microwave the next day as long as you add a couple tablespoons of water to make it creamy again.

Question: How Long Should I Wear New Dentures?

How many hours a day should I leave my new dentures in? I had new dentures and extractions on the same day and am having a lot of pain in my ear.

By Dolorita from Joliet, IL

Most Recent Answer

By Holly [349]08/02/2010

I learned that dentures, when left out, will cause fit problems for patients in a hospital. So, contact the dentist, feel better, and get them re-adjusted if need be!

Question: What to Expect When Getting Dentures

I just got 5 upper teeth extracted. I can't seem to eat anything without pain. How do people do it? I have to go back to my dentist May 10, 2010. He will make my upper teeth then I bring them to the oral surgeon, he will then remove the last 5 uppers and put my dentures in. How long does it take to get the dentures made? Does this mean I will still be waiting for teeth after May 10th? I just don't understand.

By Christine from Hamilton, Ontario

Most Recent Answer

By Beth [25]03/25/2010

You may have a temporary plate while the permanent one is being made. Off hand I don't remember the name of it, but there is a mouth wash you can buy over the counter to help heal mouth wounds. Your dentist or oral surgeon may even provide it.

Question: Can You Play Harmonica With Dentures?

I'm an avid harmonica player but I may be required to get dentures. I'm worried that having dentures may impede my harmonica playing. Do any of you have any experience playing harmonica with dentures? If so, do the dentures diminish your skills in any way?

JLS

Most Recent Answer

By Beverly Ross [2]09/22/2008

My dad played the harmonica for years while wearing dentures. He played beautifully. He didn't even use adhesive. I wish I could hear him play again.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Eating After Getting New Dentures

What is good to eat the day I get my dentures and after?

By J.R from FL

RE: Eating After Getting New Dentures

I'd suggest soft foods, scrambled eggs, soups, puddings, etc. But really, anything that doesn't hurt. You have my sympathy! (07/07/2010)

By JustPlainJo

RE: Eating After Getting New Dentures

Yogurt is good, ice cream is another thing that feels good on swollen gums. It does take some getting used to, but now I can eat anything, even an apple without using anything to hold my dentures in. (07/07/2010)

By Laniegirl

RE: Eating After Getting New Dentures

Mashed potatoes and gravy, cream of wheat cereal, oatmeal, tomato soup, puddings, jello, ice cream, sherbet, lots of orange and other juices, etc. (07/07/2010)

By florida gal

RE: Eating After Getting New Dentures

Applesauce, scrambled eggs and everything else the others mentioned. (07/08/2010)

By Beth

RE: Eating After Getting New Dentures

Anything soft as the others have said. Ask your dentist when you pick them up, they may already have a list of food suggestions. (07/08/2010)

By Maryeileen