Browsing: Wearing New Dentures

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Wearing New Dentures

Getting accustomed to false teeth takes some patience. This guide is about wearing new dentures.

New Dentures
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

July 27, 2016 Flag

I had my teeth out in the begining of January. I just got my full set of dentures 4 days ago and I have pain at the bottom behind the lower lip. It is sore and red. What can I do to ease the pain? How long will the pain last before it's all over? Should I contuine to wear the dentures or wait until it feels better?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I got an immediate set on my top on 8/1/16 and I also have sore spots on my gums so what I've been doing is salt water and I got Colgate Peroxyl mouth sore rinse Alcohol Free mild mint and it's amazing it doesn't hurt my gums at all I recommend trying this Its kinda pricey but there is different kinds of it like Orajel makes some too just make sure it's alcohol free I hope this works for ya I'm right there with ya with the pain  Good Luck

Read More Answers...

April 7, 2014 Flag

I had all my teeth out in Jan 2014, lower and upper. My dentist told me to go to him on the 8th week exactly to get impressions made for dentures, I did this and he took them. Two weeks later, I went in and they were made but did not fit properly. He took them for another 8 days or so and did the cutting down, etc. So in total, I waited for 16 weeks before he eventually gave them to me.

The top set are totally no problem at all. They fit perfectly and he waited until the gums had gone a bit harder. I can wear them without any problems, no fixing gooey mess, etc. The bottom ones are so painful I can't do it. He told me they would take a long time to harden and it seems he is right.

However, I found that Medijel gel works really well as it numbs the area. I get it from the pound shop, BTW. It is quite expensive from a chemist. I now put in the bottom set for a few hours a day. You really have to wait until the gums are healed. Yes, I did get shards of tooth coming out all over the gums after the op. Keep on trying and don't give up. If our Grannys did it we can, and I am 47. They got so thin with acid erosion that they were loose. It is not great but keep on going and if they are not tight, go back and sort it out.

Sorry this is long but it proves that persistence pays off. Go get medijel gel and rub it around the gums every few hours. When it wears off, take them out and then have a rest . Good luck peeps, cos it will get better. I ate mashed up stuff for 16 weeks but, hey, I lost weight.

March 19, 2014 Flag

I got immediate dentures (top and bottom) Friday after having 19 teeth extracted. It is now Wednesday and I still can't close my lips properly. When should I be able to? I went yesterday for adjustments for sore spots and was told I am healing well and my bite is fine. I am just really embarrassed that I can't close my lips and if I force them closed I look like I have a huge wad of chew in my bottom lip and my top looks the same!

By April

Best Answer

Tell your dentist they need to shave the top part of the gums down there's too much up there that you can't close your mouth.

Read More Answers...

April 11, 2016 Flag

I got temporary full dentures 4 days ago. This is the first time for me to wear dentures. I could not wear the dentures due to the pain they caused. I am supposed to wear them at least an hour a day for the next two weeks.

I was able to wear them 5 or 6 hours by using SeaBond denture adhesive strips. It seemed to cushion or whatever just enough. Plus it really holds the dentures in place. I was only able to remove them by eating a hot omelette. The dentures quickly and easily released and I could easily get them out without gagging.

But now, I question if I will be able to eat hot foods, like soups, omelettes, etc. when wearing dentures. Obviously not with the Sea bond strips. But is there something that works better as far as making the dentures not hurt and keeping them in place, even when eating hot soup or other hot foods?

Thanks.

I find secure dental adhesive the best tred all the other ones but this one lasts for 12 hours get it from Amazon hope this helps

Read More Answers...

February 2, 2014 Flag

I just got my 2nd pair of upper dentures, but there is only 12 teeth on it and my previous ones there were 14. My problem is I've had them realigned 3 times. But when eating I keep biting the back of my tongue.

I asked why there was only 12 teeth and the dentist wasn't sure why, but I'm thinking this may be the reason for my problem. Also I now have a noticeable lisp which is embarrassing. What can be done to correct this? Can I request them to make them right?

By MC

Best Answer

Did you pay for the new dentures? Not that it matters, but sometimes the dentist's staff will be less diligent - clearly the lab made a mistake and your dentist should be fixing the error!

No-one should put up with faulty dentures, especially ones that have come back minus two teeth and with the added 'bonus' of making you lisp. Telephone to the office and tell them you are extremely distressed, and need the problem fixed 'yesterday'.

I had a similar problem (lisp) and it wasn't until I reminded the dentist and staff I'd paid for those out of my pocket and wasn't satisfied to have a lisp at my age that they fixed the upper plate. He had the nerve to say 'Oh sorry, I thought you were one of the pay-scale patients'. Oh brother did I let him have it for that one - No-one should be made to accept poor dentistry based on low-scale payments!

I moved countries, I now live in the UK. Truthfully it's the same here, and if my British dentist ever pulls that less-than-his-best on me, I'll pitch a major fit!

Read More Answers...

May 11, 2013 Flag

I have a full plate on the top and mini implants/partial on the bottom. How do you properly bite into food (sandwich, pizza, etc.) so the top plate stays in place?

By NH

I have just had new dentures top and bottom

No sores yet.slept in the top ones have a good bite but the roof of my mouth plate is much bigger and have to keep swallowing. Will this get right eventually?

Read More Answers...

March 5, 2015 Flag

I just got my dentures. It was a 4 month process, but I'm happy! I am happy my dentist waited until I was healed and happy for a new smile.

Is there suppose to be a small gap between the back of the upper denture and the roof of your mouth? I seem to have one and it's hard to eat or drink because food and liquids slip into that gap and I choke sometimes.

By Paula

I got upper partials put in today and I have noticed a gap as well

Read More Answers...

March 13, 2011 Flag

I had to have all teeth removed that were left after accident. Also I had dentures put right in. My face is swollen, mouth and gums hurt. I need to find away to eat. Please no more jello or pudding. Oatmeal is running to going. What else is there? Please help!

By Doris from MO

Try eating soggy cereal, just let the cereal (I ate cheerios) sit in the milk for a while, the cold is also soothing. I got starbucks french vanilla frapp (cold coffee) and mixed with a vanilla milkshake and i had to let it melt a little but it is so good, its cold and filling.

Last night (48 hours after having all my upper teeth surgically extracted and also my 4 back teeth) I had taco bell:)well sort of, I ate taco meat mixed with white rice. And one more mashed potatoes and gravy and mac and cheese.

Read More Answers...

December 30, 2014 Flag

Two weeks ago, I got 7 or 8 teeth pulled. After I got the teeth out, the dentist put partials in to replace the missing teeth. I did what the dentist said which was to sleep in them and then to remove them the next night. I did what I was told, but now I cannot get the teeth back in the lower part of my mouth. What do I do to fix this problem?

By Donnisha from Louisville, KY

So sorry this happened. I took a dose of generic Benadryl. It takes down the swelling in insect bites and makes folks drowsy. That, for me, was a winning combination when I needed to get used to my dentures.

I can't take aspirin or NSAIDS and this works better for what I needed it for anyway/ Happy ZZZs to you, and congrats on you new smile! :)

Read More Answers...

April 11, 2015 Flag

I recently had my teeth removed and temporary dentures put in immediately after. I was not really given info after being sent home only to come in if I have sore spots. And now the dentist is on vacation. I'm curious if I have to take them out at night? It hasn't been a week yet. I do take them out 2-3 times a day to do a salt rinse and to clean. I'm nervous having them out while my mouth is healing.

By VJ from KS

I had my upper teeth pulled and dentures put in immediately. I was told to never take them out. I didn't take mine out for two weeks and didn't have any trouble. I would rinse them with the salt water as you have been doing but do sleep in them at night since your gums will swell at night and influence the shape of your gums and the fit of your dentures. I do agree though, if you can get in touch with any of the office staff they are usually well versed in the routine instructions the dentist usually gives. Good luck!

Read More Answers...
Load More
Health & Beauty AdviceNovember 12, 2012
Woman wearing a sports bra.
Wearing Sports Bras
A woman in pain wearing dentures.
Remedies for Pain from Wearing Dentures
man tying sneaker
Wearing Sneakers
Temporary Dentures
Getting Temporary Dentures
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 26, 2016 at 6:07:01 PM on 10.0.2.37 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.