Wearing New Dentures

Getting accustomed to false teeth takes some patience. This guide is about wearing new dentures.

October 10, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about eating after getting new dentures. Eating after getting new dentures can feel like a whole new experience.

Apple with a bite next to it sitting next to a pair of dentures

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 10, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about getting used to wearing dentures. Getting used to wearing dentures takes time.

Close up of the mouth of a smiling senior woman with her hands on either side of her jaw

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 12, 2012 Flag

This guide is about remedies for pain from wearing dentures. Getting your mouth accustomed to false teeth can be uncomfortable.

A woman in pain wearing dentures.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 25, 2016 Flag

I'm getting all my top teeth pulled and my insurance only covers one pair of dentures so I will have to wait for my gums to heal before I get dentures. How long does it take for gums to heal? I can't remember if the dentist said 4 weeks or 4 months.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I had my teeth out and in same time they made all impressions first you can't walk round with no teeth the set lasted about 6 months then I had another set made perfect only way to do it

That's not how it is every where because my insurance wouldn't cover a temp pair. I had to walk around for two months when they removed my bottom and four with my top. Then my dentist told me that some spots on my bone needed a bone scrape and my insurance didn't cover it he told me I should wait.. I waited a month and the spots he pointed out hurt I can't chew the top take me give to ten minutes to take out. I'm in lots of pain. Forget eating and the teeth are bigger then my real ones were much bigger and I told him that he said no that's what u need and my son was scared when he first saw me. My family said that their way to big I look like a different person. I hope I can come to be able to rest with them and come to hey use to them.

March 19, 2014 Flag

I got immediate dentures (top and bottom) Friday after having 19 teeth extracted. It is now Wednesday and I still can't close my lips properly. When should I be able to? I went yesterday for adjustments for sore spots and was told I am healing well and my bite is fine. I am just really embarrassed that I can't close my lips and if I force them closed I look like I have a huge wad of chew in my bottom lip and my top looks the same!

By April

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

The permanent ones you will receive later should fit perfectly, but the ones you wear right now are just temporary ones.

Best Answer

Tell your dentist they need to shave the top part of the gums down there's too much up there that you can't close your mouth.

February 2, 2014 Flag

I just got my 2nd pair of upper dentures, but there is only 12 teeth on it and my previous ones there were 14. My problem is I've had them realigned 3 times. But when eating I keep biting the back of my tongue.

I asked why there was only 12 teeth and the dentist wasn't sure why, but I'm thinking this may be the reason for my problem. Also I now have a noticeable lisp which is embarrassing. What can be done to correct this? Can I request them to make them right?

By MC

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Did you pay for the new dentures? Not that it matters, but sometimes the dentist's staff will be less diligent - clearly the lab made a mistake and your dentist should be fixing the error!

No-one should put up with faulty dentures, especially ones that have come back minus two teeth and with the added 'bonus' of making you lisp. Telephone to the office and tell them you are extremely distressed, and need the problem fixed 'yesterday'.

I had a similar problem (lisp) and it wasn't until I reminded the dentist and staff I'd paid for those out of my pocket and wasn't satisfied to have a lisp at my age that they fixed the upper plate. He had the nerve to say 'Oh sorry, I thought you were one of the pay-scale patients'. Oh brother did I let him have it for that one - No-one should be made to accept poor dentistry based on low-scale payments!

I moved countries, I now live in the UK. Truthfully it's the same here, and if my British dentist ever pulls that less-than-his-best on me, I'll pitch a major fit!

I got new dentures almost 3 months ago; a week later, an adjustment was made as I couldn't talk properly. However, it made little difference as I still have a lisp, whistle and slurred speech, which is embarrassing to say the least. I am not imagining it, as I can tell from the 'weird' looks people give me. Otherwise, they are okay; not excellent as I'd hoped but if the speech was clear, I'd be ecstatic. I am going back, and praying they make the correct adjustment, but I think the top denture needs 'remaking'.

March 5, 2015 Flag

I just got my dentures. It was a 4 month process, but I'm happy! I am happy my dentist waited until I was healed and happy for a new smile.

Is there suppose to be a small gap between the back of the upper denture and the roof of your mouth? I seem to have one and it's hard to eat or drink because food and liquids slip into that gap and I choke sometimes.

By Paula

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

No, there should not be a gap. As well, the denturist told my mother that the bones and gums would shrink for at least year after the first extraction of teeth, so a reputable one will be expecting to make adjustments and should have discussed this with you. Go back and get this fixed, and also discuss with him/her whether it is likely that you will require additional adjustments over the next few months.

They were falling out from the get go. I have to use a lot of adhesive in order to get them to stay. My bottom plate also is very loose and I'm not sure if I can use adhesive on those or not. I barely wear them because of this.

April 19, 2013 Flag

I had to have all my teeth pulled, all 18 of them; they were all bad. My dentist told me to wait three weeks to get my dentures for the swelling to go down. He said that they would give me more trouble if they made them right then. He said that they would fit better if I wait. I've been reading a lot of articles were people have been getting them right away. So what is better to wait or get them the same time the teeth are removed. Please help. I go back the 24of this month to get them. I am scared to death.

By Lori

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have a partial upper, the dentist had taken impressions a couple of weeks ahead of P-Day (Pull Teeth Day) so when he pulled the teeth the plate went in and he said to keep it in for at least 48 hours. It worked for me and my dentist, but every dental extraction is different and so is every dentist.

Since your teeth have been pulled you're through the worst of it. Nothing more to be scared of, really, truly, and honestly.

Your new dentures should fit painlessly right away and look great-be sure to smile a lot:)

In the front the dentist put in a pre-prepared temporary partial right after they did the extractions. Apparently this method helps reduce swelling and gets you used to wearing it quicker. Eventually all swelling will be gone and a new impression is taken for the permanent one. Having not known anyone I could ask about it, I was a bit skeptical at first but it worked out just fine for me.

April 11, 2015 Flag

I recently had my teeth removed and temporary dentures put in immediately after. I was not really given info after being sent home only to come in if I have sore spots. And now the dentist is on vacation. I'm curious if I have to take them out at night? It hasn't been a week yet. I do take them out 2-3 times a day to do a salt rinse and to clean. I'm nervous having them out while my mouth is healing.

By VJ from KS

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Did you not get a paper of instructions? Is there no one in your dentists office at all that can give you help? Often the assistants, or even the receptionists know the usual protocol. My mother got dentures last summer, and it seems to me that she kept them in at night. If you were not told "take them out", then I think you can assume that you should leave them in. Cleaning them and rinsing with salt water is very important. Be sure to go back if you have any difficulties, as there is no need to be uncomfortable. Lots can be done to make your mouth comfortable.

I had my upper teeth pulled and dentures put in immediately. I was told to never take them out. I didn't take mine out for two weeks and didn't have any trouble. I would rinse them with the salt water as you have been doing but do sleep in them at night since your gums will swell at night and influence the shape of your gums and the fit of your dentures. I do agree though, if you can get in touch with any of the office staff they are usually well versed in the routine instructions the dentist usually gives. Good luck!

September 6, 2016 Flag

Why do I keep biting my bottom lip with my new dentures?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 6, 2010 Flag

How many hours a day should I leave my new dentures in? I had new dentures and extractions on the same day and am having a lot of pain in my ear.

By Dolorita from Joliet, IL

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Keeping them in will keep the gums from swelling too much. New dentures usually need to be adjusted several times. After the gums have healed, they will continue to change shape for a while and you will need to have your dentures adjusted accordingly. Your dentist knows this so don't be afraid to keep asking for an adjustment - he is expecting it.

Yes it is very painful now, but mouth wounds do heal fairly quickly.

Definitely keep them in during the daytime, but call your dentist asap. When mine were new, my dentist said that keeping them in gave him a better take on precisely where adjustments needed to be made. It took me about four trips ( and twice as many days of discomfort) before the fit was absolutely right.

As others have posted, don't be ashamed to make a pest of yourself rather than to grin and bear it--your dentist expects your calls! Also: always go with what your dentist says, but ask about whether they should only be taken out at night for fifteen minutes of soaking for cleaning or left out all night. Mine said that a thorough cleaning can be done in fifteen minutes, but that it was a healthier choice to take the teeth out all night to give the gums and jawbone a rest, vanity be damned. :0

June 1, 2013 Flag

I just had 14 teeth extracted on Thursday and they put my permanent dentures in before they woke me up. How often should I be removing them? I'm worried about leaving them out or in too long, worried about swelling, etc. Also the teeth are not straight. The top teeth are leaning slightly to the left, and the bottom are really leaning the opposite way. It's very obvious. The oral surgeon said the fit is great, but the bite is way off. I'm hoping this can be fixed. Does anyone know?

I'm having heart surgery June 20 which is why I did my teeth first. I'll be on blood thinners forever after. Also, the lab made the mistake of leaving the invoice in the box with my dentures. They charged my dentist $264. My dentist charged me $1172. I am hoping this amount includes the next set of teeth that are 10 months down the road. I think that markup is insane. Well, anyone with any experience with this, I'd love to hear it. Thanks.

By Sandy from Pittsburgh

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I can't answer your main question, but for future reference I can tell you about www.affordabledentures.com. My husband got a full set for $325.oo.

First of all - the bite is extremely important on dentures - if the bite is off - then you can have muscular jaw issues and pain later.

as far as taking care of them - your dentist should help you with this - call him if you have questions. But general guidelines are - the day or two after your dental surgery - they'll help keep swelling down - so remove them to rinse your mouth - gently - then put them back in.

I've been instructed to remove them nightly. I soak them in efferedent or some other denture cleanser overnight. I also tend to take them out when I nap. Keep your gums and what's left healthy too - brush your gums / teeth daily. hope this helps.

March 18, 2010 Flag

I just got 5 upper teeth extracted. I can't seem to eat anything without pain. How do people do it? I have to go back to my dentist May 10, 2010. He will make my upper teeth then I bring them to the oral surgeon, he will then remove the last 5 uppers and put my dentures in. How long does it take to get the dentures made? Does this mean I will still be waiting for teeth after May 10th? I just don't understand.

By Christine from Hamilton, Ontario

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My mother-in-law had all her teeth pulled the same day and got some temporary denture, then later she got permanent dentures. You are going to have mouth soreness. Warm salt water rinse will help your gum heal faster. You could also just leave the dentures out for a while. You will have the pain even with the pain pill, but it WILL stop. But it will get better you will just have to wait it out. But the denture wearing you will have to adjust to also, you might need to make a trip back to the dentist for readjustment A couple of times.

First of all, I hope it is a quality lab that is making your teeth! I had 7 upper teeth pulled in Feb 2002 and they put my "temporary" in immediately before I even woke up. My gums formed to the denture. They had me leave them in for the first few days and they only take them out at night. It hurt like hell at first but gun numbing creams helped. Once they were in or out they were fine. 2 weeks later, all was well and 8 years later I am still wearing the "temporary" and they look great! it Will get better! Good luck!

March 15, 2013 Flag

I had all of my upper teeth pulled and I put my dentures in right away. My question is how long should I leave them in? I have heard to leave them in two weeks or a week before taking them out because of swelling. When can I take them out?

By Joyce

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Your dentist should have told you, but I left mine in a week and had no problem. I would google it?

It's been several years, but I'm sure I had to leave them in 24-48 hours, then I could rinse them! Be sure & call your dentist. There are special instructions for taking care of your gums! Do NOT swish anything around in your mouth! That's important, but please call your dentist!

November 20, 2014 Flag

I've just got my top dentures put in, 6 weeks after the extractions. They are feeling better as days go on, but I have already got sore spots. They seem to grip a bit on my upper inside lip. It pinches where there is a stringy bit of skin above the front teeth.

By Kristy C.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My husband had the same problem and he went back to the dentist and had his 'plates' readjusted by our dentist 'for free'. Call your dentist and find out IF he can and will help you. After all, if you bought them from him, he should stand behind them ... good luck!

November 6, 2014 Flag

I got my teeth pulled both upper and lower over 3 months ago and have had my new dentures for 1 week. The bottoms seem to be OK, but I am having trouble with the uppers. Small areas are sore so I am trying Orajel. My real problem is my plate in the roof of my mouth seems really thick. My speech is really impaired. Much more than my friend said her speech was when she got her dentures. Can it be thinned out?

By Dana

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This is not a "do it yourself" item. Go back to your denturist and explain your problem. My mother's denturist does this sort of adjustment free of charge, as it is expected to have to do adjustments as your gums shrink over time. If you have to pay for this service, it is still worth it.

September 26, 2014 Flag

I had all my teeth pulled 5 weeks ago. Is it too soon for an impressions to be made for conventional dentures?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Load More
Health & Beauty AdviceNovember 12, 2012
A woman in pain wearing dentures.
Remedies for Pain from Wearing Dentures
Getting Used To Wearing Dentures
Temporary Dentures
Getting Temporary Dentures
Eating After Getting New Dentures
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 16, 2017 at 3:59:00 PM on 10.0.2.254 in 7 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.