Wedding Reception Food Ideas

I am having a BBQ wedding and we are asking people to bring a dish. We are providing the main stuff. But all I can think of to ask people to bring are the basics like: potato salad, pasta, beans, fruit, veggies, cheese, and sausage. I feel like I am missing some things, but also I feel like I should have more options.

By Kathy from WI

Answers:

Wedding Reception Food Ideas

Chips and dip, or fruit? (05/12/2010)

By notwrong

Wedding Reception Food Ideas

Some folks just don't think they have been to a reception if there are not bowls of nuts and mints. They make a nice taste change from the BBQ, with a bit of crunchy and the sweet. They could be casually scattered about, nothing formal of course. Fresh veggies with dip are always good with BBQ.

Loretta from AL (05/12/2010)

By LJF

Wedding Reception Food Ideas

Don't forget relish plates or trays, ie. pickles, olives, etc. or snack bowls like chips, popcorn, and cheeses. (05/13/2010)

By thriftmeg

Wedding Reception Food Ideas

Don't forget desserts! (05/13/2010)

By skinnyjinny

Wedding Reception Food Ideas

Have you considered getting a cupcake tree rather than buying a wedding cake? You can ask people to bring a dozen or two of cupcakes, place them on the tree, and use it for a center piece, too. You could then just buy a wedding cake topper for the top of the tree. It would save lots of money and everyone could get the cake of their choosing.

Another option would be to have some guests bring cakes and place one on every table to be shared by those at that table. Again, you'd only have to get a cake topper for yourselves. At a friend's wedding, many relatives baked and brought cookies. They were placed in small boxes and everyone was given their own individual box of treats. It was much easier than having to place trays of cookies out. (05/13/2010)

By susanmajp

Wedding Reception Food Ideas

I like to tell people to bring their specialty, the dish everyone asks for seconds and wants more of. (05/13/2010)

By Carly34

Wedding Reception Food Ideas

Be sure and check out all of the ThriftyFun archives on this topic below all of our answers here. (05/13/2010)

By Deeli

Wedding Reception Food Ideas

My grandmother used to pickle everything! She would make pickled okra, do refrigerator bread and butter pickles, pickled watermelon rinds, on and on. They were always welcome at any gathering. I think I am going to do some of those bread and butter pickles soon. Or buy Mrs. Fanning's at any grocery. They are really wonderful and fat free. I love those pickles. (05/15/2010)

By catwink41

Wedding Reception Food Ideas

My daughter knows a lot of vegetarians and vegans, so she took their dietary preferences into account and served various types of hummus. Anything non-meat-based should work, though.
The one thing you didn't mention was drinks, food-wise. Make sure someone brings drinks unless you're providing them. (05/15/2010)

By JustPlainJo

Wedding Reception Food Ideas
Wedding Reception Food Ideas
A platter of fruit and cheese.
Inexpensive Wedding Appetizers
A wedding reception.
Frugal Food Ideas For Wedding Reception
Candle centerpiece at a wedding.
Wedding Candle Centerpiece Ideas
Coffee and dessert reception.
Coffee and Dessert Wedding Reception Ideas
🎉
🎄