Weeping Willow Log Sprouting

I recently accquired a log (not a trimming or exsisting trunk) from the family who bought my Poppy's homestead after he passed away. It is about 4ft long and 1ft in diameter and it has 3-4 sprouts. Is there any way to save them? Do I plant the log, seperate the log into pieces, dig out the sprouts? What can I do to save this tree? It would kill me to have it die.

You can do it, but it is not the right time. It should be late fall or early winter. Here is an article with details: http://homeguid  ranch-41548.html

Judy is correct, it is not the right time to do this. However, you may loose what you have if you take no action. Weeping willows contain a natural rooting hormone which is why your log is sprouting. Judging from your photo, I would probably cut the log into 3 sections, each with one sprout showing. Then, following the guidelines in the web site Judy recommended, plant the log pieces. Between the action of the rooting hormone and the decay of the wood you should produce at least one good tree.

It sounds like mhawkins has very good advice but you may want to try to start one in a large pot so you can move it if necessary for the best light or just so you can baby it.

i did some research and it seems a lot of sites say it will not make much difference whether you plant in spring or fall.

I hope you have good luck with all of your "cutting".

Just an FYI. You can also start new trees by dipping a part of a branch into rooting hormone and then into peatmoss. I have started several this way.

Thank you SO much. I plan on planting it tomorrow. It will receive much love and care and hopefully be as beautiful as the Weeping Willow on my Poppy's property. If all else fails, I'll keep part of the log and have that for the memories! You're advice is so very appreciated!