Mixed Breed Dog Photos and Information

Category Dog Breeds
Schnoodle
The advantage of mixed breeds is that mutts tend to be less susceptible to health issues that plague pure breeds. This guide contains mixed breed dog photos and information

Catherine Forman0 found this helpful

Crossing dogs of other breeds with Poodles has become a bit of a phenomenon in recent days. Ideally, you get the best features of the poodle, the intelligence, the body shape, the low-shedding with the best features of the other partner. The most popular designer dog these days seems to be the Labradoodle, a Poodle and a Labrador Retriever combined.

The advantage of mixed breeds lies in the dog's health. Mutts tend to be less susceptible to health issues that plague pure breeds.

Unfortunately, giving a mixed breed a fancy name like Cockapoo (a Cocker Spaniel/Poodle mix) or Schnoodle (a Schnauzer/Poodle mix) makes some breeders feel like they have to also assign an outrageous price. Labradoodles can cost more than two thousand dollars in the United States! Chances are you can find an interesting mix of your own at a local shelter; give it a crazy name if it makes you feel better. My Boxer mix isn't a mutt; she is a Box-Pei (Boxer/Shar-pei mix).

Not all hybrids are a good idea. Mixing two dogs with respiratory problems, like a Pug and a Pekingese, can have disastrous results. Mixing two large dogs that are prone to problems like hip dysplasia, like a Newfoundland and a German Shepherd, could create a large problem.

Poodles seem to be the most popular candidate for designer mixed breeds. They are considered very smart dogs, and have the extra benefit of low shedding. Whether you are interested in an Aussiedoodle (Australian Shepherd/Poodle mix) or a Chinese Crestipoo (Chinese Crested/Poodle mix), you can probably find a breeder somewhere. Beware of amateur backyard breeders who don't exactly know what they're doing! Check the credentials of your breeders, and ask about the family history of the puppies.

Keep in mind that a designer dog, no matter what you pay for them, is a living thing and not a personal accessory. Make sure you are ready for whatever kind of dog you add to the family, you are making a lifelong commitment.

What would you call a Pomapoo mixed with a long haired teacup Chihuahua?

By Allison L.

A mutt.

Anonymous

Am sorry in if I am seeming mean but they are called a family member who happens to be a multiple canine purebreed mix. Why do human beings find the need to give a designer breed name to their fur baby instead of simply using their individual name?

I am of multiple ethnic origins. Does that mean I should have a cutsie mixed breed designer name too?

Pomapoochi, don't take the harsh comments to heart! I'm a Heinz 57 American. I understand the "want" to give a "breed" name for the mixes. My 4-legged son is a Wolf-Heeler & my kitties are mixed as well. Just love your baby! God bless!

I would call it a poochi. I bet it's a cutie!

Is there an actual breed of a Yorkie and Chihuahua mix or would they be considered mutts?

By jeffmarjann from Bloomington, IN

All mixed dogs are mutts. Particular mixes are in fashion right now (like Yorkie/chi and the GoldenDoodle) but they are not recognized as a separate breed.

I am thinking how cute that mix would be, a Yorkie and a Chihuahua...how adorable! :)

I think they are called Yorkhua or Chiyork. (lol)

I mean, lol :).

What does a Terra-Doodle dog look like please?

By Rita

I did a Google image search and found Terra dogs and Doodle dogs but no Terrar Doodle Dogs. I think the cutest is the Golden Doodle.

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

Taya Pookey Honey Bird will be 3 in September. She is a miniature poodle/papillion and pincher. We saw an ad, she had a brother and sister but right away we realized she was the one.

When she's not outside and she's bored, she goes to her toy basket. She tips it over finds her bone and takes it over to a person's leg or foot and pretends to bury it with pretend dirt. It's really cute. She sleeps with me at night and I have a long pillow and she lies down right by my face or on my face cause she's really small.

By Jade from Abbotsford, BC

Comment Like this photo? 15

Bleux was a shelter dog for many months. Nicholas, a shelter volunteer, bonded with this massive boy instantly. Two guys, never afraid to share their love for each other even in a less-than-perfect world.

By Carol W. from Lebanon, TN

Nicholas Hugging Bleux in Shelter

Comment Like this photo? 16

Your Pet's Age
14 Weeks

Your Pet's Breed
Mixed Breed

How and when did you get your pet?
He was an adoption through a shelter.

What does your pet like to do for fun?
He likes walks, fetch, tug-of-war, high energy, and he chews on everything!

Do you have anything else to share about your pet?
I adopted Freddy through a shelter and was told he was a Sheepdog/Shetland Sheltie mix, but I don't the similarity. I was wondering if anyone would have an idea about what breed he might be.

Comment Like this photo? 7

This is a cute pic of our miraculous dog, Kenny.

Your Pet's Age
2

Your Pet's Breed
mutt

How and when did you get your pet?
We got him from a foster home last summer.

What does your pet like to do for fun?
He loves to play fetch!

This is for all those Poodles out there, Kenny is single!

Comment Like this photo? 6

Your Pet's Age
6

Your Pet's Breed
Mixed Breed

How and when did you get your pet?
She is a rescue dog from a shelter.

What does your pet like to do for fun?
She loves to run and chew on her stuffed bear.

She is very loving and always wants to be with you. She loves to sleep with my husband and when one of us is sick that's the person she stays with until we feel better. She's such a blessing

Comment Like this photo? 8

My daughter got Stormy from a shelter. He loves to go to the dog park and play with his little girl friend. He also enjoys raiding the garbage when no one is home.

cute mixed breed with gray coat

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 9

I got Sarah when I was 14 and in the 9th grade. My mom and I drove down the road from our home and met Sarah's original owners at the town post office. I remember this tiny and scared furball being placed in my arms. She looked up at me and I fell in love.

bridle dog with cream chest

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 5

I found him. He likes to eat shoes.

white dog in car

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 5

Petey was a gift from God. After searching for 3 years I thought dah! and said a prayer. 3 days later God blessed me with the best dog in the world! He was at a shelter in Palms Springs, California, where he was found as a stray! Can you imagine being thirsty down there in the desert?

black and white Pit mix

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 7

I got her about 4 weeks old. She was left outside my boyfriend's store at 3 am on September 1.

Hazel in a devil costume

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 4

Ginger showed up at our house out of the blue about a year and a half ago and made herself at home. We don't know what we'd do without her.

Ginger and her mom

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 11

I got him where I always would get my puppy, at our local doggy shelter. He also likes sitting on our deck in the sun and loves certain TV shows with animals. He will watch iPad You Tube videos too.

Brody sitting in chair with man watching an iPad.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 5

My grandparents' dog gave birth to them. They like to run around! They're tiny and hyperactive. All they do is run around and play with each other. Also, anything small enough to fit in their tiny puppy mouth gets chewed by them.

New Puppers (Mixed Breed) - black and white puppies in a cardboard box

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 3

I got her as a birthday gift. She likes running, pulling things, etc.

Ellah (Mixed Breed)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 7

A women was giving her away because she could not afford her. She loves to sleep and be cute.

fuzzy black and white puppy

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 3

Rex is 100% Dad's dog and Patch is 100% Mommy's but they hate to be away from each other.

Rex and Patch (Mixed Breed)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 3

Piwo is a 1 year old mixed breed dog. He was a rescue. He likes to run, fetch and play ball. I love him.

medium dog

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

We adopted her one week ago from a local SPCA. She loves to find the squeaker in her toys and continually make it squeak. She is a surprisingly good puppy and very smart.

black dog with one floppy ear

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 6

A girl we knew could no longer take care of him at 8 weeks. She was going to take him to a shelter. My boyfriend bought him and gave him to me as a Christmas present:)

Ryleigh (Mixed Breed)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 6

Lucy is 7-8 years old. She is a mixed breed. Lucy was a rescue from a no-kill shelter, where she had been awaiting adoption for 6 months before we found her in February 2005.

Comment Like this photo? 5

I got him from a friend. He likes to lay next to me.

Roy sitting

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 5

I adopted him from the SPCA after he was abandoned in a home. He was left in a closet and found by the people that rented out the house. Then he was sent to the SPCA.

Xavier - Professor X (Mix Breed)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 5

Calvin is an 8 year old Golden Retriever and Riley is 7 year old Yorkshire Terrier with a little Shih Tzu for character. I got them both from breeders.

Calvin and Riley (Golden Retriever/Yorkie)

Comment Like this photo? Yes

Buddy has long hair that really gets static on windy days, I rub his coat with a dryer sheet to help keep him from "shocking" us and him.

Buddy and Static Hair

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

I got him when he was about 7 weeks old, just a baby boy. He loves to be outside, but mostly loves to be with the human people he loves, and he loves to be the baby! He also loves his chew toy and to be sleeping on his bed with his big soft blanket.

Cuijo (Mixed Breed)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 4

We adopted her three days ago. She loves to chew on her toys and on bone-like sticks. She also likes running and playing.

light brown puppy with dark muzzle

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 4

This is Moxie, CoCo's sister. She is more interested in showing love than she is in her bone in this picture but don't be fooled; She can finish off the biggest bone in 15 minutes when she is ready. She is also descended from Belgium Malinois, used by the United States Air Force to find bombs, opposition, drugs etc. She is the larger of the two sisters I adopted.

Comment Like this photo? Yes

I got my dog from Adoptadoggie.org which is in taiwan. It is a great organization and they sent Natey by plane. I got him 6 months ago.

Nate Note (Mixed Breed)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 3

Figa is 13 months old.

Figa (Dog)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 3

She is a rescue. She's very hyper, she loves to play catch by herself, she will run up the steps, drop her ball down them, then run down the steps to catch it. She loves her chew toys and harassing the cats. She is very loving and does not let anyone but the kids in my room.

brown and brindle dog with large standup ears

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 1
Load More