AdviceDogs

What Breed Am I?

This is Sherlock. He is 8 weeks old. I got him from a friend whose dog had 7 puppies of which only 2 had this coloring. They say he is Collie/Lab mix, but 3 puppies are tan and white and 2 are black and white with short Lab fur. I'm baffled? I'm wanting to know so I can get an idea of weight and any health problems to look out for. He has a wonderful playful temperment. I love him no matter what he is, but I am still wanting to know. Thanks!

By Kristin F.

What you have described is within the collie/lab mix. What can happen: More prominent Collie DNA comes to the forefront, like in your puppy, or more prominent Lab DNA comes to the front, like the short-haired dogs. They can come from the same litter.

It is seen more frequently in cats, where the mom is, say, white, and the dad is orange tabby. Some kittens are white, some are pure orange tabby, others are orange and white patches.