What Breed Is My Dog?

I am having my adopted dog evaluated for behavior issues and am wondering if he's primarily a herding-breed-type-guy? He's a mix weighing in at 55 pounds; that's a black saddle on his back and he holds his tail out or up; he has black eyeliner and some light spots in the white of his neck and nose. He's very protective, active and serious. Anyone have any guesses as to his dominant breed? Thanks for your help!!

Diana from Springfield, CA

He appears to have some German Shepherd and Beagle mix in him-- His ears and snoot look to be a german shepard and the black and brown saddle look like a beagle or fox hound breed.

Hi,

Not sure since the shot isn't from the side, but if I had to guess, I'd say he's probably part Basenji -- a very active breed.

Behavior issues are most successfully approached and resolved when dog psychology is taken into consideration. No one is better at this than Cesar Millan, aka the Dog Whisperer.

We have four dogs, purebred and mixed breed, and have learned a lot by watching DVDs of his National Geographic TV series. We're better dog owners and the dogs are happy and well-behaved.There are many episodes of past shows available and can be rented through Netflix or DVD store. His latest book "The Pack Leader," also is very helpful.

Cesar says he rehabilitates dogs and trains people. His methods make so much sense and they really work.

Good luck with your new best buddy.

He looks an awful lot like our "Molly." She is a rat terrier.

Lots of spunk and personality. Very active. Curious. Will absolutely climb a tree to chase a squirrel! We have adopted 4 along the years and love the breed.

www.dogster.com/breeds/rat_terrier.

Hope this helps

Have you checked into the breed Australian Cattle Dog? He sounds like he may have some of these personality traits and coloring.

Strikes me as Ibizan hound mixed with a smooth-coated Collie maybe?

I don't think he is a basinji, we just dealt with one through our humane society. The signal there would be a very FOX looking, with an extremely curled tail. And it screams like an injured child. They don't bark. I had to do the research on finding out what WE had found, and was assisted by basinji owners.

What you can do is go to www.petfinder.com and find the ask/contact us link, as to send your photo to them. They will help. We use that alot when we can't figure out the breeds. Hope this helps.

Boy, you sure got a polyglot of breeds in those replies. From the look of that tail, his coloring, and your description of his personality, I would guess he has some Blue Heeler, or Australian Cattle Dog in him, mixed with any or all of those mentioned in the other posts! We had a 1/2 blue heeler. He was super protective, alert, muscular, and liked to run. We had to work on some behavior issues, also (jumping, nipping heels, etc.). As he grew older, he settled down a lot and became very affectionate.

I'm not sure about a specific breed. When I had my dog Lady, people asked all the time what kind of dog she was (BTW she was a cocker spaniel) but still I would just smile and say "she's a good dog". Nuff said :)

Pets Dogs AdviceJune 2, 2008
Photo of a pure bred dalmatian.
Dalmatian Breed Information and Photos
Cairn Terrier
Cairn Terrier Breed Information and Photos
mixed breed dog
What Breed is My Dog?
Cat
Identifying the Breed of Your Cat
🎉
🎄