What Breed Is My Dog?

I rescued Kody from a shelter in March of 2007 and his paperwork said he was about 1-yo and German Shepherd mix. Since then, people have told me he looks like he has some Husky, Malinois, or Chow (because of the spots on his tongue) mixed in. Many people say that he can't be purebred German Shepherd because he is too small.

He is 60 lbs with light-medium brown eyes, soft fur, and a straight tail. He has a white undercoat and sheds a ton. He is super smart, protective, very friendly, not overly energetic, somewhat vocal but doesn't bark too much, very sweet and playful.

I'd love to hear any thoughts about his breed. I am just so curious, but I don't have the money to do a DNA test. Kody is my best friend and I love him more than I can even explain. =)

This picture (from Jan 2008) is the best profile shot I have of Kody, but keep in mind that my boyfriend is standing behind him (boyfriend = 6'1) and Kody's back legs are bent.

Megan from Hayward, CA

What Breed Is My Dog?

Well, no pic so who knows...anyway, what does it really matter? If you love him and he loves you he could be half cow and he would still be just as loveable! =(^.^)=

Editor's Note: Sorry about that, we have now posted the photo.

He looks very close to a German Shepherd to me. Not all shepherds are large.

Bred, raised & showed German Shepherds for many years...and that looks like a very nice Shep to me.

60 lbs. is about right for his age. And he is in a classic 'show stance'. Nice-looking dog.

Ok, thanks for the pic. You have a BEAUTIFUL dog! He looks like pure shepard to me and I agree, not all shepards are huge.

I just wanted to say don't waste your money on the DNA test, some of those companies are junk, they just randomly list a bunch of different dog breeds.

Definitely a shepherd! What a beautiful dog!

He is certainly German Shep and if he sheds tons, I would bet he's got husky in him also. I have a husky and she sheds tons. I got a furminator and I comb her with it every day. It gets a lot of her loose hair off. I also get her hair cut in the summer.

Huskys don't bark, but shepherds do, so that should be interesting.

He looks a lot like ThriftyFun's Maggie. We were told she was a Chow mix. Her tail does go back up over her back, she's about 50-55 pounds, deep chested, face a lot like a shepherd but does have Chow features, too (Black spots on her tongue, a bit stand offish to outsiders.) Some people have suggested GS or Akita mixed with chow.

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf63891540.tip.html

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf386452.tip.html

Susan from ThriftyFun

Whatever he is, he's beautiful!

Thanks for all the wonderful feedback! I'm so happy to know that he's not too small to be full German Shepherd. He's big enough for me! ;)

Many of you said that Kody is a beautiful dog and I would have to agree. When I saw him at the shelter, I knew I had to take him home that day. We had planned to look at the dogs and then get everything set up at home and then go back for the dog the next day. When I saw Kody (and the poor condition of the shelter), I said we had to get him that minute. That was one of the best decisions of my life.

Kody is the most intelligent dog I have ever known and he quickly became my constant companion. We have trained Kody to be my Service Dog, so he is a working dog too! He absolutely loves his job, and his new home and family. I absolutely love Kody! =)

Here's a quick pic of him cuddled up with a down comforter (his favorite spot to nap!)

Pets Dogs AdviceSeptember 15, 2008
Photo of a pure bred dalmatian.
Dalmatian Breed Information and Photos
Cairn Terrier
Cairn Terrier Breed Information and Photos
mixed breed dog
What Breed is My Dog?
Cat
Identifying the Breed of Your Cat
🎄
🍂