What Breed Is My Dog? (German Shepherd Mix)

Many pet owners have mixed breed dogs. Knowing the mix is not only interesting, but can be helpful in understanding your dog's behavior and by giving you an insight into potential health issues. This is a guide about, "What breed is my dog?" (German Shepherd mix).

August 6, 2007 Flag

Does anyone have any idea what mix my puppy is? The animal shelter said she is a German Shepherd mix, but they were not sure what her mix is. Any feedback would be great! Thanks!

Erika from El Paso, TX

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If you really need to know [I did], go online to Mars Veterinary and get their Insight DNA kit. Follow the instructions exactly. They are about the most accurate and reliable of most of these companies and have been around for a long time. The cost is very reasonable [65.to 75.]

It was a lot of fun and answered all my questions; many ahaaaa moments. She has a very dominant Shepherd look [straight up GSD ears and all], but has some oddly pretty markings & unusually tremendous pulling power [like a freight train], topped off by shockingly blazing speed.

She turned out to be 60% German Shepherd, 25% Burnese Mountain Dog and 15% Saluki. I am so glad I had this done.

Best of luck to you,

Mike

Looks a lot like my new puppy. She is lab, shepherd, border collie. I really see the border collie in both yours and mine. My pup is only about 11 weeks old.

When I adopted my dog Mya, they told me she was a German Shepherd/Shiba Inu mix. When I got her signed up in a training class, the instructor told me she looked like a Belgian Malanois. At this point I really wanted to know exactly what breed she was so I had her DNA done at my vet. They drew blood and sent it to Mars for evaluation.

I am so glad I had it done! Not only did I find out exactly what breed she is but they also tested her genes for any mutations so my vet and I could be prepared for any possible future medical issues. Ok, ready to hear what mix she is? One parent is a German Shepherd and Collie mix. The other parent is a Keeshond mix with the mix being White Swiss Shepherd, Boxer, English Springer Spaniel, Samoyed and Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier. If your dog is young, I would encourage you to get the DNA done. It is well worth the money.

Our dog is a German Shepherd/Husky/Retriever mix. Hope this helps since our little girl looks identical to your dog. :)

Hello...

My dog looks pretty much the same, and he is a German Shepherd bernice mix.

I believe the 'bernice mix' is the same class as a pure bread bernice mountain dog just like golden retrievers are in the same class as labs.

Hope that helps.....

:)

March 25, 2007 Flag

When I bought my dog it said she was an Alaskan Husky, German Shepherd, Alaskan Malamute mix. Is this true? Here's a picture.

Kira from On., Canada

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My male puppy Levi looks like both of yours guys dogs! We got him from the pound and they also said he was a German Shepherd husky mix. So my family and I have been trying to figure out what he really is. He has more German Shepherd coloring then anything and body build but his face is different looking! He is a good dog! ^__^

I have a husky/Shepard mix and she is beautiful! Every time I walk her, people ask what she is and tell her how pretty she is, I would have to agree. Zoe is a very sweet dog! But she does get a bit growly in the evening when she wants to be left alone or around her food! This is a pic of her and my 2 dachshunds, Gaby & Nuts.

I notice that this is a fairly old post but I thought I'd throw my $0.02 worth. To say that it is an Alaskan Husky/German Shepherd/Alaskan Malamute mix is kinda redundant. The Alaskan Husky is technically not a breed of dog but a mix of several types to obtain a "work dog" of function and not form or appearance (that could be to say that calling it an Alaskan Husky already encompasses the other two breeds, and the Alaskan Husky has no specific markings because it was bread for its working capabilities). The dogs I've seen mixed are usually Siberian Husky, Alaskan Malamute, German Shepherd and Border Collie just to name a few. Your dog definitely appears to have the markings of a German Shepherd, and I could maybe see Alaskan Malamute from the tail, but the body looks much to small to come from either. This body looks very much like a typical Alaskan Husky, but where it comes from? Years of breeding, possibly the Border Collie. So to answer your question I would say you have an Alaskan Husky "breed" and the markings seem to reflect more of a German Shepherd than anything else I could see.

This is Chuck. He's a German Shepherd/Alaskan Husky/Timberwolf mix. He weighs about 120 lbs. His father was 3/4 Husky, 1/4 Timberwolf and was pure white and weighed 150 lbs. (Big Dog!) His mother was a pure German Shepherd and very dark markings with a weight of about 75 lbs.

Chuck is fun, but he cannot be let off leash unless he's in a fenced area. He likes to go adventure roaming and it's hours before he returns.

I've never been able to identify some other dogs that look this similar to mine! My 8 month old puppy Avila comes from a rescue litter that told us she was probably part golden retriever and part Australian Shepherd or German Shepherd. We aren't sure what to believe, she doesn't have a fluffy long coat, it's coarse and soft and she sheds a lot. Her coloring looks just like Levi and that of a German Shepherd. But, she is small, probably around 35 pounds with small paws, floppy ears that alternate sticking up once in a while, and a curved up tail. She also has a mottled tongue, pink nose, and medium brown eyes. :)

September 17, 2008 Flag

Help me figure out the breed of my dog please! I rescued Kody from a shelter in March of 2007 and his paperwork said he was about 1 year old and German Shepherd mix. Since then, people have told me he looks like he has some Husky, Malinois, or Chow (because of the spots on his tongue) mixed in. Many people say that he can't be purebred German Shepherd because he is too small.

He is 60 lbs with light-medium brown eyes, soft fur, and a straight tail. He has a white undercoat and sheds a ton. He is super smart, protective, very friendly, not overly energetic, somewhat vocal but doesn't bark too much, very sweet and playful.

I'd love to hear any thoughts about his breed. I am just so curious, but I don't have the money to do a dna test. Kody is my best friend and I love him more than I can even explain. =)

This picture (from Jan 2008) and is the best profile shot I have of Kody, but keep in mind that my boyfriend is standing behind him (boyfriend = 6'1") and Kody's back legs are bent (usually his back is straight across, not slanted downward).

Megan from Hayward, CA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Hi Megan - did you know they have DNA tests now that supposedly tell you the breed of your dog? I saw it on The Early Show news. Here is a site: http://www.vet-  -breed-test.html

@hedera: an Alsatian IS a German Shepherd. That name was invented during WWII to avoid calling them "German" - q.v. Salisbury Steak, Freedom Fries.

http://en.wikip  hepherd_Dog#Name (also note the solid black shepherd in the pic @wikipedia)

hello i just got a puppy today its 3/4 german shepherd and 1/4 husky. my puppy and your puppy have like the same facial features can u see that?

Carol my friend has the same exact dog he is a German Shepherd.

A stunning dog! Just gorgeous and looks all german shepard to me. One of his ancestors could be a white german shepard? He is loved and a beaut. Later when you can afford it and want to know for sure, he can be dna tested.

April 8, 2014 Flag

I'm just wondering if anyone knows what she (Jaz) might be mixed with? I see a lot of German Shepherd, but I just can't figure out anything else. She's 2 years old, very energetic, likes water, and is protective over my little one, also very loving and thinks she's a lap dog. She's about 50 pounds. Thanks!

By Alyssa S.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Please just love this beautiful girl for who she is and cherish all the time you spend together. This was my boy Tyson before he crossed

"The Rainbow Bridge"

You Jaz look a lot like my Max .. they've told me he is a shepherd lab mix although it has never been confermed.

He looks like a shephard /terrier mix. I don't see any retriever

December 3, 2013 Flag

What is my German Shepherd mixed with? He is 12 weeks and 28 pounds. He has huge paws; the vet said he would be 100-125 lbs.

By Austin R.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Looks kinda like a German Shepard with little lab just a guess but it really does

He looks just like mine did at that age. Mine is GSD mixed with a Red Doberman

September 1, 2009 Flag

What breed is my dog? She's 8 months old, 26 inches at the shoulders, and weighs about 60 lbs. I know she's a German Shepherd but I don't know what she's mixed with. Can somebody help? Thanks.

By hanni2 from Rasht, Iran

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Are you sure she isn't full blooded German Shepherd? She certainly looks like it. Beautiful dog!

I agree. Why do you think she is mixed with another breed? If she is, you sure can't tell! She looks pure bred to me!

She looks like a dog we used to have. Max was his name. His mom was a purebred German Shepard and his dad was high fence jumper. ha ha

He was a wonderful dog, and actually much more beautiful than our previous registered German Shepard. Hybrid vigor, I guess.

She looks like a purebred German Shepherd dog, and she's beautiful.

August 20, 2014 Flag

She is smaller, maybe about 50-60 lbs. Definitely has the personality, very smart, and very protective. She is chestnut with a black face and white on her chest.

By Melanie

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I'd say she's a little bit Staffordshire Terrier, but that's just a guess.

January 8, 2011 Flag

Erika from El Paso, TX

Answers:

What Breed Is My Dog (German Shepard Mix)

I'm a long time dog owner and I would say Labrador and/or Border Collie.

Hope this helps!

P.S. Cute dog...thanks for adopting. (08/06/2007)

By Anonymous

What Breed Is My Dog (German Shepherd Mix)

Definitely part Labrador. I love that ear thing she's got going on! (08/07/2007)

By Beth

Not a Border Collie, but German Shepherd/Labrador. He'll be big! sweet eyes, nice pup! With time, the

down ear may get a little stronger. (08/07/2007)

By kimhis

I would say your puppy is Lab and Collie mix. I had one that looked just like yours some years ago and

that's what she was. (08/07/2007)

By candleglows

kelpie cross

I reckon it is a Kelpie cross. (09/17/2008)

By Dean

That puppy sure looks like he has some Lab in him. Does he have webbing between his toes? if so, he has

Lab, that's because they are swimmers. (09/25/2008)

By Sandy

My dog looks exactly like your dog around the same age, too, and my dog is a German Shepherd Blue Heeler

mix. (09/30/2008)

By Joseph

We have a Lab and German Shepherd mix and he looks exactly like that. Here is a picture of our puppy.

(10/12/2008)

By Amber L

If you know of a Petco in your area they do DNA testing too see the exact mix that your dog is. I am not

sure if all Petcos do this, but the Petcos out here in MN do DNA testing. They can also give you exact

amounts of the breeds if you really want to know. (10/27/2008)

By Mercedes

My puppy looks exactly like your puppy. The pound told me that she was a Lab mix, but from looking at

pictures online I figured out that she was a German shepherd Border Collie mix. (11/23/2008)

By Laura

Definitely a German Shepherd cross. Not a Kelpie. I raise and train Kelpies and and am a dog trainer.

This is def a Shepherd cross.
Peace.
(12/07/2008)

By Lisa

I just got the results from a canine breed DNA test: primary breed could not be determined, secondary

German shepherd, and "in the mix" Airedale and Bernese Mountain dog. I guess she's just a mutt!

Your dog is super cute. (12/27/2008)

By Jen V

It's a smooth coat Collie German shepherd mix I bet. Sorry to say this to all the other people who claim

it's a Lab/German Shepherd mix, but this dog is too handsome to be one. (01/03/2009)

By Kendra

My in-laws have a Border Collie/black Lab mix and he looks just like your dog! We have a Border collie/

German Shepherd mix and he also has your dogs features, but isn't black colored. (01/05/2009)

By Nikki

I heard that my puppy is Lab and German Shepherd and looks a lot like yours. (02/24/2009)

By sarah

How weird! It was almost like looking at mine own, do her ears flip inside out or cross in the middle

when she stands them up. My girl's mum is a Lab Doberman her dad is German shepherd. (09/13/2009)

By yvonne4777

Your dog and a few of the others on this page are Australian Kelpie with Lab mix. Google (images) the

breed online and you can see for yourself. (10/17/2009)

By Sniffette01

It's neat to see so many beautiful mixed breeds that look so much like my beautiful mixed breed. I think

my girl is a Border Collie/German Shepherd mix, but I also suspect she has some Doberman and a little

mule in her. (01/28/2010)

By foxress

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
German Shepherd Mix
German Shepherd Mix Breed Information and Photos
Pets Dogs AdviceJanuary 5, 2017
Chex Mix
Homemade Chex Mix Recipes
Australian Shepherd Breed Information and Photos
German Shepherd
German Shepherd - Breed Information and Photos
Skinny German Shepherd Laying Down
Skinny German Shepherd
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 24, 2017 at 8:07:01 PM on 10.0.1.55 in 6 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.