What Breed is My Dog?

I was wondering if you guys could offer a bit of input. This little dog was hit by a car in front of our home a few weeks ago, and being a vet tech for years I brought him in to make sure he was OK. I had to cut his moldy collar out of his long, matted fur and he had cuts and wounds all over, mostly bites from other dogs. He had obviously been out on his own for ages, as he was skinny as a rail and covered up with ticks and fleas.

Well I did all I could to find the owner but to no avail, my posters had no impact nor did the ad in the paper, so Rehab is now a part of our family. Out of curiosity, I was wondering if any of you could perhaps help me determine what breed he is? He is barely 4 lbs at the most, even now that he has gained a all of his weight back and is healthy. I am leaning towards Chihuahua-Schnauzer or Chi-Poodle, judging by his coat which I unfortunately had to completely shave off, as you can see from the picture.

It was in no shape to be 'fixed', it will just have to grow back out I'm afraid. It is longer, more wirey than smooth, and has a bit of wave to it, though not a lot. He has the eyebrows and 'beard' of the schnauzer, and the hair on the ears and feet is long and feathered. The color is definitely a salt-and-pepper. Any ideas? Thanks.

By Graciloo from NC

Aaawww, his story breaks my heart but what a happy ending! Sorry I don't know what he is but he is adorable!

I think your right, Chi and Schn. but he is oh so cute!

He reminds me of one of the small breeds of rat terriers and chihuahua by the adorable ears and sweet eyes. The darling is priceless! Robyn

I'll bet his mother was a Heinz 57 and his dad was also Heinz 57. Does that make him Heinz 114? He's cute whatever he is!

Graciloo, another name for Angel. I hope your new addition brings you much joy. He is lovely and I am so glad he is in a good home now. The world is full of such horror for so many animals. God Bless You

Thank you for being so kind to the little fella...It's heartwarming to hear of people like you. Your new friend will pay you back in love tenfold!

Grandma Jan & Kato the Wonder Dog

Oh how sweet. Oh he is so scared looking. I hope that you do keep him. So sad let us know an update when he /she is better.

This looks just like our little Foxiianna! Our baby is part chihuahua and part Cairn terrier, so we call her a Cairnhuahua. We've had her a year and just love her to death! If that is her lineage then she won't shed much because Cairn terriers don't shed. What a wonderful ending to quite a story. You're wonderful to care for her & keep her.

Part Chihuahua definitely, but don't know what else. My Maggie is a Pom/Chihuahua mix. Bless you for taking care of him. Hope you will both have a wonderful life together. I, and I'm sure others, would love to see another "after" picture of him when his hair grows out. Perhaps you could post one later on!

He may be a powderpuff Chinese Crested or Crested mix. Their body hair is wavy and long to the ground. Some CCs are practically hairless, but not all. They are skinny seeming even when they're not, if you know what I mean. A very affectionate breed. Most people keep their hair clipped short for ease of care, because it tangles easily, even though they don't shed. I think you will love your little Rehab no matter what breed(s) he may be. I have uploaded a photo of a Crested of a similar color to Rehab.

Could it be a Pappion? The description of the fine hairs on his ears and legs made me wonder. Your story brought tears of joy to my eyes. There's another jewel in your crown. No doubt, Rehab loves you. thanks for a great save - best

Poor little dude, he is lucky to have you, the very best person for the job with your background as a vet tech. Thanks on behalf of all dogdom, or something, but somehow you are to be thanked.

You are a wonderful person!

I don't know what breed your little darling is, but I just wanted to thank for being such a great person. God bless you for taking in Rehab.

He is one of millions of all-american dogs. I'm so glad his luck changed when he "found" you. I know he will show his gratitude and make you very happy.

He looks like a chihuahua but I really have no idea. I just wanted to say thanks for being such a kind person and taking him in. He will love you forever!

Pets Dogs AdviceApril 27, 2009
Photo of a pure bred dalmatian.
Dalmatian Breed Information and Photos
Cairn Terrier
Cairn Terrier Breed Information and Photos
mixed breed dog
What Breed is My Dog?
Cat
Identifying the Breed of Your Cat
🎄