AdviceDogs

What Breed is My Dog?

We have just got a new puppy he is 11 weeks old. We where told he is a Kelpie x Bullmastiff, but we are not completely sure that is true. So if anyone can help us that would be great. His name is Harvey.

By Matthew from Devonport, TAS

He's a handsome guy irregardless of what mix he is--don't see Bullmastiff or Kelpie, though. I think Kelpies generally have much darker coats and the Bull pups have distinctive wrinkling on the face and that doesn't seem to fit in with him.

My best guess might be either part Lab or Golden Retriever along with some terrier--maybe?

Know there's that little-bit-pricey doggie DNA kit you can get that identifies a lot of the more common breeds so you can get a report on what's in his bloodline; don't know if that's really worth the cost to you or not.

If wondering what breeds made him is a concern for you in looking ahead to see what medical problems are common to his ancestors--as long as your vet is giving him a thumbs up, I wouldn't worry much.

The jury's still out on it, but a lot of studies show that there seem to be more health problems in purebreds that aren't bred correctly than in canine mixes--especially in bigger breeds.

From the looks of your guy's bone structure, he sure looks solid and healthy ( and like he's going to be a big boy)--no matter what he is.

He is adorable--what a sweet face. Hope that's an indication of a sweet disposition which is more important than breed. I agree his leg/foot looks like he will be a BIG bundle of joy.

Pointer mix. Maybe English Pointer. Not sure about the short ears which could be from Labrador Retriever. But definitely a pointer's spots.

Awww, he kinda of reminds me of an American bulldog! <3 but that is just me. I can see maybe a touch of retriever (maybe lab or golden), and a terrier maybe? Such a cutie! Good luck with your baby!