AdviceDogs

What Breed is My Dog?

Can anyone tell me if I am a Boxer mix? I have the ridge down my back and ears that stand at attention and completely touch in the middle. I have only one small patch of white, my goatee. Thanks for any help.

By Cindy

Hi! Your parantage is from Africa, you are part Rhodisian Ridgeback where in Africa you are bred to protect livestock and people from large predators like lions and such. You look like you're under a year old, will be pretty big and definitely heavy with muscle, seems you might also be part Rott.

You sure are going to be a good protector and I pray you are loved where you have found your home. and that you are happy and that you bring happiness everywhere you go, (after you're puppy stage). I would highly encourage you to go to doggie training due to you're boundless joy for life.

God bless you and your family.

Seems like you got a pretty good answer. May I just add - gorgeous dog!

There are kits out now if you want to know exactly for sure what breed or breeds your dog is. You or your vet take a blood sample (some are hair /DNA) and mail it in. Then your results are mailed back to you.

I would think there definitely is at least some Boxer in him/her. I used to have a full breed Boxer and your dog has similar features. Beautiful dog by the way. I would like to try that mail in service that tells you what your dogs breed is for my dog too. I seen it advertised somewhere before and think it's around $50 to find out.

I used to raise AKC Boxers, and I do see some Boxer in your dog around the chest and neck, but his nose is a bit long for Boxer, and you mention the ridge down the back...the longer nose and and the ridge are characteristic of the Rhodesian Ridgeback. Plus those forepaws are pure Rotti or Lab.

I think you have a gorgeous dog who hopefully has inherited all the best features of three wonderful breeds-all are good family dogs, intelligent and fiercely loyal to their families.

You might want to consider an organised training programme, check your Parks and Recreation services for inexpensive classes, or splash out on a reputable training group with a private kennel to ensure your dog is well mannered and easy to have around.

All of the breeds making up your dog are now considered to be 'dangerous dog' breeds and several localities in the US and UK where I now live have ordinances against these dogs. You'll need to make sure you comply with whatever laws have been enacted, and that your dog is always under control-a good training programme is essential for that and also will bring down your insurance costs.

He is absolutely beautiful, I think you will have many happy years together!