AdviceDogs

What Breed is My Dog?

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what type of dog I have. We have her papers and the papers say she is Husky/mix, but what does that mean? If you know please help me out.
Thanks again.

By Gina from East Hartford, CT

Answers

Because the papers list her as a Husky first, it means she is predominately one of the Husky breeds, mixed with something else.

But that depends on the origin of the papers, too-if prepared by a vet with experience in canine breeds, you can rely on the information meaning what I wrote. If a vet prepared those papers, and you know the vet has experience with the larger dog breeds, you can probably count on the information.

You can likewise rely on the information if the papers were prepared by a rescue group, or a breeder of huskies-they too have breed specific experience. For example, I used to breed Boxers, and can spot a mix a mile away, lol! People who know me are confidant in my opinion because of my experience with the breed, and with the more common mixes that occur, I can usually peg the mix part with a high degree of accuracy.

Because the ".../mix" part is the second part, and because it doesn't list as (for example) ".../GS mix (for German Shepherd), who ever prepared those papers felt there might be a Heinz-57 in the mix.

As to what the mix is with your dog, it's hard to say from the picture-but that's only because my experience is mainly with Boxers and Boxer/mixes.

The best thing I can tell you is that checking out the AKC breed book from the library will likely be your best way to tell what is in the mix. Short hair, long hair (you may have shaved your dog for the heat, is she long haired?), colours and patterns, weight, height, muzzle and jaw shape, head shape, body shape standing up, stance, attitude, behaviours-all of these characteristics are listed in the breed book and will help you narrow the search field.

Good luck, if you follow my advice you will enjoy the search, and learn a lot about dogs along the way.