AdviceDogs

What Breed is My Dog?

I bought a puppy from the local flea market, but I'm not sure what type of dog she is.

By Kimberly

This little cutie looks like a min-pin mix with perhaps a chihuahua? Whatever the origin, it is adorable!

It looks kind of like a Doberman before it's had its ears trimmed. Here's a pic of a Doberman puppy. The markings are similar to those of your puppy.

The puppy is very cute! However, I'd like to ask you to research puppy mills. Most puppies that are sold in pet stores, online, and at trade days or flea markets are the products of puppy mills. This means the mother and father dogs are kept in little cages their whole lives and aren't allowed out hardly ever. Several rescue groups in the Dallas area recently took in 51 Maltese puppies that were dumped on the road by a breeder. See http://www.nbcd  -172578901.html. They were in awful shape with horribly matted fur, injuries from the wire cage bottoms, toenails growing into their feet, rotten teeth, tumors. The pictures were so distressing that the local media wouldn't print them until the dogs were cleaned up. I saw the before and after pictures because I help the rescue groups sometimes. When you buy from someone who has a puppy mill (and they won't admit it), you are encouraging more breeding. There are plenty of purebred dogs in shelters and with rescue groups. There are also lots of breed-specific rescue groups. It usually costs less to get a dog from a rescue group once you figure in the cost of spay/neuter, vet care, and microchipping. As a responsible pet owner, you would do all that anyway, right? Please encourage your friends to get their puppies from rescues or shelters instead of encouraging puppy mills to continue to breed dogs in horrible conditions. I'm sure you didn't know about this and that your heart was in the right place. Sometimes, you also need more information. Best of luck to you and your new puppy!