What Breed is My Dog?

What breed is my dog? We were told Alaskan Husky and German Shepherd, but she seems to be full grown at 48 lbs. We think there may also be some terrier in her. Some people ask if she is some kind of Pit Bull.

She rarely ever barks, but loves to run and run. She was hard to train, but is now very good. She's a year old and her tail is starting to get bushier. Also, she has a soft grey undercoat that came out in handfuls when the weather got warm.

By MissyDoodle from Brooklyn, NY

Boy, she is quite a mix. We have a basenji husky mix and she looks a little like that but the ears look like our boxer/American staffordshire bull terrier.Maybe she's a combo of those. I know that the basenji is a bark-less dog and we had a terrible time house training her because of it.

Wow, I never thought of basenji. You're right, she definitely has some similar characteristics, like dewclaws, belly spots, loose facial skin, very independent, cleans herself like a cat. She does the "scream" thing when we leave her alone. It's heartbreaking, it sounds like a child screaming. I had never heard a dog do that. Thanks for your feedback!

She's adorable and if she hardly ever barks, she most likely has husky in her. They rarely bark. I have a white Alaskan husky. She almost never barks, but she occasionally howls if she doesn't want to do something. Siberian huskies don't bark either. Yours is most likely Siberian. Your vet can give you a better idea of her background.

She could have a little Rat Terrier in her. My sister's rat terrier cleaned herself and had belly spots too.

mixed breed dog
What Breed is My Dog?
Pets Dogs AdviceSeptember 16, 2009
Photo of a pure bred dalmatian.
Dalmatian Breed Information and Photos
Cairn Terrier
Cairn Terrier Breed Information and Photos
Welsh Terrier
Welsh Terrier Breed Information
Identifying the Breed of Your Cat