What Is This Flower?

A field of purple coneflower or Echinacea
Identifying a flower whether a volunteer in the garden, a gift, or an unidentified bargain find can sometimes be difficult. This is a guide about What Is This Flower?.

Can someone identify a plant for me?

By Caralee

Answer Was this helpful? 2
Best Answer

Looks like a Bat Orchid.

Best Answer

Yes, Betty Korn is correct. I did some research and found this and the link

if anyone is interested http://www.easy  y-BAT-PLANT.html

Beauty', Bat Plant

Tacca chantieri 'Black Beauty', Bat Plant

These fantastic tropical plants are not orchids The plants like heat and humidity (like Vanda and Phalaenopsis) and stand approximately 28 inches high! The flowers are deepest purple and are almost black and 8 inches across with 10 inch whiskers dangling down super warm conservatory plants.

We saw these growing out of cracks in a parking lot this morning. They are really pretty. What are they?

By Laurel from Port Orchard, WA

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Best Answer

Without going online to make absolutely sure, I'd say the flower is a Sweet Pea.

Anybody know what this flower is? It is growing on a large, thorny bush. I thought at first it might be a rose bush but the buds are tiny, tiny and very fragrant!

Charlene Woods from Stafford, VA

Best Answer

Wild Rose , I grew up in Mid TN and The Smell Wafts across areas the brambles resemble black berry but you will find tiny tatsefull vit c packed rosehips in early to mid winter that have a tart and peculiarly satisfying tatse. (as a child it was like winter candy that grew on bushes)

What is the name of the white flower in this photo? I purchased the plant at a home improvement store without a tag. It is growing in zone 8, west coast of central Florida, and survived last winter in the ground with minimum mulch. It roots very easily and quickly from cuttings using rooting hormone.

By SieraStar from Crystal River, FL

Best Answer

It looks like cat's whiskers to me.

Best Answer

Thanks for your help! Because of the shape of the flower I believe it is "Cat's Whiskers". It roots so easy I started three more pots today!

Best Answer

Orthosiphon aristatus, medicinal herb

Wikipedia : "It has been used for many centuries as a treatment for ailments of the kidney, bladder stone, urinary tract infection, liver and bladder problems, diabetes, rheumatism and gout. It is also used to reduce cholesterol and blood pressure. It is believed to have antiallergic, antihypertensive, anti-inflammatory and diuretic properties, and is used as a remedy for arteriosclerosis (capillary and circulatory disorders).

It has a mild diuretic action, so it is very useful for flushing the kidneys and urinary tract. It also relieves spasms of the smooth muscle in the walls of the internal organs, making it valuable for gallbladder problems. Researchers have found it to be mildly antiseptic as well."

I would appreciate finding the names of these two flowers. Anyone out there that can tell me? Thanks for taking time to answer. GG Vi

Hardiness Zone: 9b

Vi from Moorpark, CA

Best Answer

The blue one is a peruvian lily. They're gorgeous, but smell like cat urine if any part of the plant is bruised.

Can anybody tell me the name of this flower? This is the first year it has come up.

By Jamie E

Answers

Best Answer

I think it is a hollyhock.

I call this an "orange morning glory" because it behaves and has similar characteristics to a morning glory. It has leaves, seed pods, and seeds like a morning glory, but the size and shape is different.

By nonniebeth from Rome, GA

Best Answer

I've never seen anything like it. If it were white with pink-blush centers, I would say the shape and the size of the flowers look like bindweed; but the color looks like trumpet vine. Need more info to make an identification with any degree of certainty. Can you get a close-up of the leaves (with fingers or flowers for scale), and a more distant shot to show how the plant grows - twining, sprawling, bush, whatever?

I was given this flower. It spreads like crazy and comes back every year. It closes up in the evening and opens in the morning. The yellow flowers last a week or two.

Best Answer

Your plant is a primrose. Commonly called Sun Drops. They do spread like crazy but the roots are very shallow so they're pretty easy to thin out. I usually take a shovel and slide it right under the plants in the fall so there's not so many of them the next spring.

What is this flower? I found it growing along the side of the road in central Florida.

By Donna from Crystal River, FL

Best Answer

That is Lambs Ear. The leaves should be very furry and soft.

Attached is a photo of a small shrub I bought with small flowers. Can anyone tell me what it's called?

By lahib

Best Answer

This is a purple balloon flower. It should be a perennial, meaning it will come back if covered properly over the winter.

Here is an image of a flower that a friend posted on Facebook and I am trying to figure out the name of it. It is growing in the lower south region of the US. Can someone help me identify it?

Answer Was this helpful? 1

That is a four o'clock. It's an annual that easily reseeds itself. It's an old plant that not many people grow anymore. My Dad always grew them. I still grow them....they've come up with a lot of new colors since I was a kid. The bi-color ones are beautiful! I have some growing this year that are speckled with pink & yellow. The seeds are large so they're easy to collect in the fall if you want to grow them in another spot. I just let mine fall where they want. Then in the spring when they start coming up I move some of them to wherever I want them.

It is called "Four O' Clock" and the seeds are black when ripe for picking off the plant. Save and replant next Spring. They also come in solid and variegated colors and they have a sweet fragrance and bloom later in the day; hence how it's name derived.

They're dark purple on the edges and light purple in the center.

Hello ! It is very difficult to tell from such a close-up photo. It could be a blue crocuce. Hope this helps !

There is a way to look up things by images go to

google images and if there is a picture of a camera

in the search bar click on it then you have the option to browse your computer for photos

click on a photo of what youre trying to identify then click search, google will bring up similar photos to and you can identify what youre looking for have fun.

Just a wild guess. It might be one of the Gentians.