What is This?

Can anyone tell me what this is? There are four lengths that are 10 feet long, a center piece, a different top that is 9 feet long), a pole (looks like a pipe) the same length, and a square that is 26 1/2" by 23 1/2". All appears to be made of aluminum material. It was used on a housetop as a receiver for TV to see the Cowboys play in the 70s. Any help will be appreciated.

By Oneta from Fort Worth, TX

To me it looks like some kind of rooftop TV antenna.

Hopefully you're kidding! Many folks still use an antenna to receive broadcasts. This kind doesn't work well for digital, so many have traded them in on ones that do better with digital. Ham radio operators still use antenna arrays, all different configurations. You don't have to pay the cable companies to watch TV. I don't!

It's an antenna, like the other people have said. If you don't want it you can try to sell it on Craigs List. They aren't as popular as they used to be but there are people out there that want them.

Looks like an antenna mast to me. That is the tower that the actual antenna sat on and they are still used in rural areas where there is not cable. A good mast and a decent antenna allows pick up of channels over one hundred miles away, or at least it does here. Frankly, that is what I need.

I seem to remember that our neighbors had this on their roof as their means for tv reception, My Mom absolutely hated it since it was our view from the second floor. Good luck.

Actually that is a 40 foot tower . It comes in (4) ten foot sections, you stack it on top of one another,then the top is where you put either a tv antenna or citzen band radio, or a ham radio antenna is attached to the top pole.

It's not an antenna - it's a tower you put an antenna on! When I was a kid, my mom sold her upright piano so she could buy one of these things along with the antenna & cb radio that she used to monitor the airwaves for distress calls. I was so mad at her because I wanted to learn to play the piano!

You could sell this to someone who uses CB or HAM radios,they would love to have it.Google amateur or ham radio tower to see if you can get a value, I did a quick look & found them going for $200 or more!

That is a tower to put up an antenna for Ham radios or for C.B. radios. I grew up with several of these. They had clubs so that C.B.ers could keep in touch with each other. That way everyone could listen in on conversations and didn't tie up phone lines. Everyone had there own call letters too. Ours was KGF-1224

Consumer Advice General AdviceMarch 18, 2010
🎄
🍂