What is This Plant? (Dracaena Fragrans)

I received this plant 4 months ago, and the tips of the leaves are turning brown. I thought it was over watered so I stopped watering it and it still is losing the ends of the leaves. I am not sure what kind of plant this is, it has a cane type base. Thanks for everyones help.

Laverne from Omak, WA

This is a corn plant.I have several of them and the biggest one is over 6 feet tall! They can get real big. I don't know what I'm going to do if it continues to grow! They are pretty hardy but they do loose leaves once in awhile. Make sure it gets some sunlight but not direct. Good luck with it.

I think this is called a (Cane Corn Plant or Dracaena Fragans) here is a link to see the picture & a link to see the care of this Plant... My daughter has one.. When.the leaf tips go brown it's from underwatering it .. hope this helps http://www.ellisonsgreenhouses.com/images/retail/Corn_plant_cane_3PP.jpg

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/houseplt/msg0817225916922.html""""

I am not positive of the name but I had one that was the size of a small tree years ago and think it's official name is Dracena.

They originated in the tropics, so providing an area of high humidity or misting might help keep the tips on the leaves.

It does look like a corn plant. I'm not sure how to care for it, though I did have one once and it was not in direct light. I put it on the porch in the summer and it got wind-burned. We moved shortly after and left it.

They do have the most wonderfully delicious-smelling flowers though.

It looks like a Yucca. Check in out on the web.

It is a corn plant. Rule of thumb with any plant is, yellow leaves, too much water or not enough light, brown edges, not enough water. Indirect light would be best for your corn plant, or a north window.

This is a tropical plant. I've seen it grow in El Salvador, Central America. They call it IZOTE, and the flower is the National Flower. It is pompous in size and glows in the sun with pure white color. People eat it mixed with scrambled eggs or kept in vinegar as it will make a good tasty appetizer. It has a light bitter taste.

Dracaena Massangeana Cane. Doesn't take much water - a little at a time - keep it pretty dry. It does like light, not necessarily direct light. Every six months or so, give it Miracle Grow, diluted in water.

It is a Corn Plant, in the draceana family. Make sure it gets enough light - near a window and don't overwater it. If your water has chlorine, flouride or other additives, it could cause the tips to turn brown. Overwatering will usually cause whole leaves to turn yellow.

I have one of these also. I love it. A lot of these grow in places like tropical islands and love a sandy soil.

If you repot it with 2/3's sand and 1/3 soil and mix in a little charcoal(purchased at plant nurseries), it will keep from ever over watering as the soil will be very pouris. Back in the 1970's little pieces of stalk were sold and came from Hawaii. It was very popular.

Yours looks very healthy, you must be treating it right.

I find if I put mine any direct light it isn't happy. I believe these are tropical and use to shade or indirect lighting. The website I have included will give you the information you need on this plant.

http://houseplants-care.blogspot.com/2006/05/corn-plant-care.html

You can trim the brown part off of the tips of the leaves. Be sure that when you cut you cut with the form of the leaf; that is, don't cut across the tip of the leaf, cut up the side from the tip. Trying to repair the brown tips can sap the strength of the plant. It's kinda like having split ends. Does this make sense?

Definitely a corn plant. When they get too big, start one for a friend or neighbor. Literally cut the stalk off and jam it into the soil. Think about the height you'd like for the 2nd plant and then make your cut. The original rooted stalk will eventually grow greens near the cut area. The 'top' you removed will eventually root and you have a free gift for your neighbor.

Tracey - Jacksonville FL

What is This Plant? (Dracaena Fragrans)
What is This Plant? (Dracaena Fragrans)
Home and Garden Gardening Plant Info What Is This PlantNovember 28, 2008
Zucchini Plant Not Growing Fruit
Zucchini Plant Not Growing Fruit
Europe on a globe.
Plant Hardiness Zones for France
Sun Star Plant
Caring for a Sun Star Plant
A woman watering a houseplant.
Identifying a Houseplant
🎄