AdviceGardening

What is This Plant?

I received this potted plant for Valentine's day and I have no idea what the plants are or how to take care of it. If you have any idea what they are please let me know.Thanks.

AmyD1978

The heart shaped leaves are philodendron. It is a very easy to grow plant, can take low light. The leaves with the purplish spots are prayer plant. When the lights go out, it will fold opposing leaves together like hands in prayer. It also will take low light.

Can't think of the name, but over here in the UK, they are houseplants. Depends on where you are in the world I guess! I wouldn't water too much. Maybe once a week. Good luck!

The plants with the spots/stripes are called "Maranthas" and the plain ones are a type of philodendron. Both like the same conditions: medium filtered light, temps between 75-85. Let dry out between waterings. They can live in any humidity but prefer high, they will become very lush and shiny in high humidity. These are really hardy and carefree, they don't tend to get bugs or diseases. If the maranthas start to loose color/dry up, put them in a pot all to themselves and give unfiltered light and more humidity.

The plants ARE called philodendrons. The one that has that has holes in the leaves are called Cheese Philodendrons. They are easy to propagate. Simply put the cuttings in water and they will grow roots.

The prayer plant, when it gets leggy, you can cut the ends off, maybe 5 to 6 joints, take off the 2 bottom leaves & put in water. It will root & you have a band new plant. The philodendron can be cut & rooted in water also. Taking cutting can also, caused the parent plant to get fuller.

I saw philodendron (green heart shaped leaves), Prayer plant (leaves with spots) and Spider plant (long strap leaves) They're all easy to care for.

Lots of lite but not in direct sun. All are hardy and easy to grow. Water only when dry.

Thank You for the information it is very helpful.

This is absolutely my favorite plant! It would be virtually impossible to kill (although 8 unexpected weeks in the hospital did it to mine - I forgot to ask someone to water plants and since people thought I was dying - well, so did the MDs - the life of my "Philly" was down on the priority list!)

They grow SUPER fast and if you let them grow quite long, I find the leaves get smaller and smaller - and can get a little spaced apart. I don't let each "vine" grow more than 18 - 24" - then it's time to cut 5-6" off - throw in water for 2 weeks and loads of roots form indicating it's time to plant the "baby."

I'm also an artist and have a great time shaping hollow copper piping into wild shapes, eventually sticking both ends of the copper into the pot - then just let the plant grow around and around in spirals, loop-de-loops - whatever comes to mind. PEOPLE LOVE THEM - I don't dare tell them how easy it is to do! Try it!

Check this link, shows a picture of the Heart-Leaf Philodendron. Gives the common and Scientific name. I've got one that has traveled over the 2000 miles and survived. I moved to the South then back North. The plant is hardy and it dances when the speakers are too loud (actually it shake from the vibration but I like to think it enjoys the Beetles as much as I do).

http://housepla  -plant-care.html