What is This Plant?

Can anyone tell me what this plant is and how to care for it? I'm plant sitting and it doesn't seem to be doing very good! Thanks!

By Halfwhitfrom Ashdown, AR

I think it's called a wax hoya. I used to have one a long time ago. It is a succulent, like a jade plant, and needs the same kind of care as any other succulent.

Yep, it is a hoya. They don't like full sun, I see a bit of burning on the one you have so you probably have it in too sunny a location. They are similar to jades in how much water they need.

They have the most interesting flowers, they look just like they are made of wax. I think they smell a bit like chocolate. I find that they will flower all the time if they are happy. I have had at least three different varieties.

Here is a picture of the flowers, it is from a different variety but the flowers are almost exactly the same.

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf657909.tip.html

Thanks for the info. I have kept it outside, but will bring it into a sunny window! TF folks are the best!

It is called a rope hoya. They do not like full sun, but you also might benefit from transplanting it into all new soil. They can do poorly if the soil has lots of salts in it from years of being in the same pot. They grow very slowly, but if you transplanted it and cut off the bad leaves and tips of the arms, you would get new growth.

It looks likw a Hindu rope plant which, I think, is in the same family as the wax plant. I pulled this info. from Google.In any event sounds to me like a watering problem instead of a light or temp problem. Here is a quick remedy to help your little plant get back on it's feet. Mix 1/4 tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide with water and give it a drink. This for sure will kill any fungus, bacteria or any insects, it will also replenish any roots that may or have rotted due to over watering or under watering and it will deliver oxygen to the roots immediately. After you water, move it to a bright location where it will receive plenty of light, indirect light is best but it has to be bright. Leave it there and don't water it again until it's completely dry. It's winter, succulents should be not receiving normal watering. You should be watering them at most once a month. Whatever you do. Do not repot, that is the last thing an ailing plant needs.

I don't know if this will help or not but at least you know what you have.

Home and Garden Gardening AdviceJune 26, 2009
Zucchini Plant Not Growing Fruit
Zucchini Plant Not Growing Fruit
Mystery Plant
What is This Garden Plant?
Europe on a globe.
Plant Hardiness Zones for France
Sun Star Plant
Caring for a Sun Star Plant
🎄