AdviceGardening

What is This Plant?

I have a houseplant I can't identify, does anyone know what this is?

By Marsha from SW PA

My mother used to have a plant like this. I'll check with her in the morning and see if she recognizes it and knows what it is called.

To me, it looks like a "Wandering Jew." I haven't had one in many years, but I definitely remember the unique stems. I "Googled" it and found this image, you can see that it has the same segmented typed of stems as your vine. The one is this photo has solid color leaves, but they are most often striped, more similar to yours.

What I recall most about the one I had was that I one time I pinched off a bunch of leaves to encourage new growth and keep it from looking too "leggy." I just tossed the leaves out my back door and the next thing I knew, they had taken root and I had a bunch of new little plants, amazingly easy to propagate! I think you can also start new plants by breaking off pieces and keeping them in a vase of water until roots begin to sprout, then you can plant them.

I hope this was helpful. I'm looking forward to someday having a house with more windows so I can enjoy houseplants again. :)

The spots on the leaves look like one of the marantas or "prayer plants". I don't know if they grow as this one seems to be growing, but the leaves definitely look like maranta. Check it out at this Google website. There are pictures.

http://www.goog  ad526d12389e3c08

Pookarina

What is left of it is called "Chocolate Soldier". I have forgotten the botanical name. You can probably google "Chocolate Soldier plant" and find more info.

This looks like a varigated Hoya plant.

I live in Zone 8 & got a clipping of a plant called "alligator mouth". Looks almost exactly like this only the "trunk" on mine is lighter color. Each leaf will grow tiny rosettes. Everywhere a rosette has fallen it has produced another plant. I've even picked & dropped some, same result. I've got the "mother" plant which started from a piece of "trunk" from my friend & gown 6toher plants ranging from indoor house,outdoor potted container in the sunny side of the deck,flower bed in part sun as plant,hanging basket in the shade of the porch. Grows just about anywhere. I've learned it like a fairly dry soil-fertile soil.

I have a plant like this , I've had it for years. We call it a chocolate soldier. It is in the violet family. It trails down and it is very easy to root. I love mine. It takes light, but not hot sun directly through a window.