What is This Plant?

Does anyone know what this is? It was seen in a nature reserve containing donkey, cowslip, jug, pink bunny and Sheba orchids. A friend found a type of white coral growing in the bush (about 10 m2 of it prostrate on the ground). It is amazing stuff, stiff, light, and strong like ocean coral, but appears to be growing!

Have you ever seen anything like it? The site is about 40 km inland from the coast east of the Stirling Ranges. The same area is growing a wide variety of native plants including grevillea, hibbertia, mallee, red leschenaultia, etc.

By twhitcher from Perth, WA (Australia)

This plant looks like parsley or coriander, I'm not too sure though. The roots could be too long to fit in the bucket so they are not getting enough water.

I'd guess it is some kind of lichen. Being from N America, I'm not familiar with the type you have in your country. Check this search http://www.google.com/images?um=1&a ... p;aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai= and see if any match your picture. I can't enlarge it enough to really tell.

Hi twhitcher, We have this or similar growing on our farm at Goulburn NSW,and if you google photos of Aust lichen there are pages of interesting photos, I can see why you referred to it as coral, it certainly looks the part

Home and Garden Gardening AdviceAugust 22, 2010
Zucchini Plant Not Growing Fruit
Zucchini Plant Not Growing Fruit
Mystery Plant
What is This Garden Plant?
Europe on a globe.
Plant Hardiness Zones for France
Sun Star Plant
Caring for a Sun Star Plant