What is This Tree?

I'm having a hard time figuring out what type of tree this is. It bears fruit, small and dark red. Someone said it was a cherry tree and someone else a plum tree. Last summer, it bore plenty of fruit, more like a small plum, but it was pretty hard so that confused me a bit.

The picture is one I just took of the leaves and the newly forming fruit on it. Oh, it was covered with pinkish purple blossoms not too long ago.
Thanks for you help.

Hardiness Zone: 7b

By agt1965 from Winfield, AL

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

Maybe your county extension office can help you. Good luck.

Looks like it may be an ornamental crabapple. The fruits are not for human consumption. kffrmw88 is right, take a sample branch into your extension office, (or a friendly local garden center) and ask for help in identification.

Thanks shishi! I do believe you are right. When I cut into the fruit last year, it was very apple-like. After looking at pictures, I believe you have helped me figure it out. Thanks again.

Home and Garden Gardening AdviceApril 17, 2010
Man in a Christmas tree costume.
Making a Christmas Tree Costume
Picking a Christmas Tree
Picking a Christmas Tree
Making a Christmas Tree Topper
Making a Christmas Tree Topper
Cardboard Christmas tree photo from an earlier Thriftyfun project.
Making a Cardboard Christmas Tree
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 16, 2017 at 1:21:59 PM on 10.0.0.82 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.