What is a Natural Remedy for Keeping Animals Out of My Gardens?

What non chemical method can be used to keep deer and cats out of the vegetable and the flower beds?

By Florine from Hyattsville, MD

Answers:

I sprinkle black pepper on the soil periodically (it doesn't rain much here, so that is a factor for you to adjust for). It works for skunks and cats, not sure about deer. (05/02/2010)

By demofi

Human hair clippings, and, I know it's gross, but a big time farmer told me human urine around the garden. It has to be replaced every few day. He says he puts it in cups. (05/03/2010)

By angelsjones

Cats hate citrus. Place some orange/lemon/grapefruit peels (or even pieces) around your garden. This is also a great tip for keeping cats away from your Christmas tree. You can also spray lemon scented water around. The cats won't like it one bit. Sorry I can't help you with the deer though.

Thank you for trying to solve your problem without using anything toxic to animals. Some people will tell you to use moth balls, but moth balls will kill a cat and are very toxic. (05/06/2010)

By Needtoknow

A photo fo a carrot growing in a vegetable garden.
Keeping Animals Out of Your Garden
Smelly Hands
Remedy for Smelly Hands
Keeping Animals Out of Your Garbage, Raccoon Scavenging Garbage
Keeping Animals Out of Your Garbage
A hamster in it's cage.
Saving Money on Litter for Small Animals
Stuffed Easter Bunny
Refurbishing Stuffed Animals
🎄