What is this flower? (Wild Rose)

Anybody know what this flower is? It is growing on a large, thorny bush. I thought at first it might be a rose bush but the buds are tiny, tiny and very fragrant!

Charlene Woods from Stafford, VA

Best Answer

Wild Rose , I grew up in Mid TN and The Smell Wafts across areas the brambles resemble black berry but you will find tiny tatsefull vit c packed rosehips in early to mid winter that have a tart and peculiarly satisfying tatse. (as a child it was like winter candy that grew on bushes)

The flower looks like a Wild Rose Bush.

Looks to me like a dogwood flower.

in MS where I grew up we call it a wild rose bush. It can be kept trimmed and grown on a trellis to keep from overtaking your yard.

In NC where I now live they call it multiflora. I have seen this flower in white and pink. I have spent last 3 days clearing a bank it has taken over so you will want to keep trimmed and "train" to grow on trellises.

Hope this helps.

Looks like multiflora rose, a wild rose variety that is very hardy and (in some areas) invasive. It is a nice plant to have, just keep it well pruned. It makes good hips for the birds in winter.

Here is a picture of what i have been clearing. We moved recently and the area around our home is covered with this, as I said earlier wild rose or multifloral

This is a picture where I am clearing off the bank. This was neglected and allow to take over the area.

We always called it a wild rose (I happen to have gone to HS in Stafford BTW).

The name of it is a "Mock Orange". We had one in the yard when I was a child. Enjoy

Definitely not a dogwood flower, they are four-petaled. Maybe a mock orange?

http://www.camb  ges/P6247299.jpg

http://www.dire  large/6748_l.jpg

http://www.goog  m/imgres?imgurl=

http://www.cirr  g&imgrefurl=

Check out a few of the above pictures. The Mock Orange blossom is similar, but the leaves are very different. The flower of the mock orange is not as delicate, lasts nicely cut in bouquets.

I think it may be in a berry family, but not sure what it iis...but it is not Mock Orange...they wouldn't spread like that and have woody branches and stems.

http://www.accl  9-1012-0826.html

Here is a photo of a wild rose for you. If the leaves match, that is probably what you have. It says they are invasive.

In this part of MO we call them wild roses

I believe what you have is indeed a rose bush gone wild. This is exactly what happened to one of my rose bushes that grew from the root stock; it turned into a wild rose bush. I let mine be as it is; it is not the hybrid I planted but it provides beautiful clusters of rose hips in the fall that I use for dried arrangements. And as you say, the fragrance is lovely.

While it might very well be wild rose, in my neck of the woods plants and flowers that look very similar are wild blackberry bushes. I've spent many summers picking the wonderful berries for cobblers and pies.

I believe this white blossom is from a mock orange bush as some of the other writers mentioned too. It is very prolific and has a wonderful scent. You may want to cut it back but I would not destroy it. It is truly lovely