What's the best way to get drains unclogged?

What's the best way to get drains unclogged? I've tried the drain products and they work fine, but I have heard that they will hurt the pipes if used all the time. I need a simple, yet not harmful to pipes and pets, to unclog drains.

Thanks in advance,
Joylie from Pasadena, MD

Answers:

Check the recent request for Homemade Drano. I use vinegar/baking soda, and flush with boiling water. It works great (I've never used Drano) and environmental offices (DNR) recommend it. I lived with septic for years and it is all we ever used. (03/09/2006)

By camo_angels

Sorry, that's roughly equal amounts of white vinegar and baking soda. (03/09/2006)

By camo_angels

We had a sink in our bathroom that was clogged. We tried Drano and and old time plunger. Neither worked. So my DH went to Lowe's and the clerk in the plumbing department sold him a plunger that weighed about 8ozs. He said it would work great. It was solid black and all one piece. And looks accordion like at the bottom. The cost was minimal. Maybe a couple of dollars. Well I want to tell you, I plunged that sink about 3 times and the clog was gone. I couldn't believe it. Works for the toilet, too. It pushes a lot of pressure. Hope this helps. (03/10/2006)

By nana6x

If you can get at the drain pipe, open it up. Get a hose, turn your water on and put the hose up through the drain pipe. It will hit the clog and wash it out. No chemicals involved and it works. My husband has had to do this a couple of times at our house. (03/10/2006)

By Megan's mom

In my 18 years of marriage, I've learned a few times not to put potato peelings down the garbage disposal. I bought a small plunger which I label "sinks" and have never had any problems unclogging anything, from long hair clogs, to bathroom sinks where the pet birds' water dish was cleaned out and the birdfood would start growing in the pipes, etc, the plunger has always worked without any other liquids or poisons. Just make sure to cover all holes. I use a rag so air cannot escape. The only opening should be the drain opening. Good luck! (03/11/2006)

By Kim

Pour a cup of baking soda into the drain hole (in bath, shower, or sink). Add one cup of vinegar. Wait for 20 minutes then pour a jug of boiling water into the drain hole. It works. (03/17/2006)

By MsZing

I have a mechanical way to clear a clog. Undo and straighten a metal clothes hanger out to make it a long straight wire. Stick it down the drain and move it around. (It will be too long to go down all the way.) Run water while you do this. Clear! A little trickier, but works even on the drains that have the permanent stopper that is like a metal plug. (02/09/2010)

By Coolcook

Metal sink drain.
Getting Rid of Drain Flies
Man Repairing a Shoe
Repairing Shoes
Hair Clogging Drain
Preventing Clogged Drains
kitchen drain
Gurgling Drains
🎉
🎄