Where Can I Get Free Yarn for Charity Projects?

My mother knits for charity and we're on a tight budget. Does anyone know anywhere I can get yarn donated to us? Individuals or business? She makes beautiful afghans for our local orphanage, and we're running low on yarn. If you can, please email me with assistance. Thank you.

By Darlene from Spanaway, WA

Answers:

Go on Freecycle or Craig's list. You could also ask various churches if any members have yarn they would want to donate. (08/29/2010)

By redhatterb

Check with your local craft stores. Many have a time during the year when they donate to people doing things for charity. I do several charities (Project Linus; Care Wear, etc.) and have received yarn and materials from Jo Ann Fabric and Crafts. Some others such as Hancock's and Michael's might do the same. Good luck! (09/01/2010)

By Squeaks

Another possible place for yarn is the thrift stores, in the form of sweaters already knitted. You can get these sweaters for pretty cheap and then unravel them for the yarn.

God bless you and your mom!
(09/01/2010)

By GrammySheila in Springfield, IL

I have some yarn I can mail her. Contact me directly and give me your address. I'd be happy to send her some yarn. (09/02/2010)

By PainterLee

You may get yarn from Joann Fabrics, but I guarantee Michael's will not give you yarn, doesn't matter if it is for charity or not. (09/02/2010)

By applesauce

I too have yarn that I would be happy to send you. Let me know where to send. (09/05/2010)

By katluvsbears

Fabric
Donating Fabric to Charity
Colorful yarn on a shelf.
Finding Free Craft Supplies for Charity Projects
knitting needles
Using Eyelash Yarn
Trellis Yarn Necklace
Making Trellis Yarn Jewelry
🎉
🎄