White Bean Soup Recipes

Category Bean
White Bean and Pasta Soup
Hearty white bean soup makes a delicious main course on a chilly evening. This page contains white bean soup recipes.

Recipes

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these recipes. If you have made this recipe please submit a photo and let us know how it worked. Or, add your own recipe variation.

• 2 cloves garlic
  • 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 can chopped tomatoes
  • dried rosemary, pepper and salt to taste
  • Ad
  • 2 cans Great Northern white beans (16oz. size)
  • 8 oz. pasta (elbows, shells, or bows)
  • 1 cup chicken broth

Directions:

Saute garlic in oil until brown. Add beans, broth, tomatoes and spices and bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer for 20-30 minutes.

In separate pan, cook pasta according to directions on package. Crush some beans. Add pasta to bean mixture; heat thoroughly and serve.

By Robin from Washington, IA

Ingredients

• 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
  • 3 cups thinly sliced celery
  • 1 cup diced onion
  • 1 cup carrots, cut in matchsticks
  • 2 cans white kidney beans (may use Great Northern, undrained - I usually use 4 cans total)
  • 2 cans ready-to-serve chicken broth
  • 1/4 tsp. rosemary leaves, crushed (opt.)
  • grated Parmesan cheese
  • finely diced celery

Directions

In a large saucepan, heat oil until hot. Add celery, onion and carrots; cook stirring occasionally, until celery is crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. In the container of blender, place 1 can white kidney beans; puree until smooth. Add to saucepan. Stir in remaining can(s) of beans, chicken broth, and rosemary. Bring to boil; reduce heat and simmer, covered, until carrots are tender and flavors are blended, about 10 minutes. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Garnish with finely diced celery, if desired.

By Robin from Washington, IA

• 1 large onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 carrot, shredded
  • 2 (15 oz.) cans Great Northern beans
  • 1 (14 oz.) can chicken broth
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • 1 tsp. dried sage
  • 1/4 tsp. thyme
  • oregano, to taste

Directions:

Saute first 3 ingredients in oil in saucepan until tender. Add undrained beans and chicken broth. Stir in remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer until heated through, stirring occasionally.

By Robin from Washington, IA

Ingredients

• Navy beans or peas
  • ham bone
  • cut raw potatoes
  • 2 small onions
  • seasoning

Directions

Soak beans or peas overnight. Drain and put in a pan of cold water with ham bone and cook 2 hours until beans are soft. Then add desired amount of cut raw potatoes and 2 small onions cut. Any left over ham may be put into the kettle. Season to taste. Cook until potatoes are done, about another 30 minutes.

By Robin from Washington, IA

Ingredients

• 1 small bag dried navy beans
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 1 large bunch Swiss chard, chopped

Directions

Soak beans over night in water. Saute diced onions in soup pot with olive oil. Drain beans, add to soup pot. Add water to cover, cook beans until done. Once the beans are done, add the chopped swiss chard and cook an additional 5 to 10 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste

By Liz from Bisbee, AZ

I am looking for a bean and bacon soup recipe that tastes like Campbell's. Just asking for it makes me hungry. Thanks.

By Annette from Cocoa Beach, FL

Hi, I just posted this recipe recently and I was trying to recreate Campbell's Bean With Bacon Soup. I think that the longer you cook it down, the closer it will be to the canned soup texture.

http://www.thri  4932681.tip.html

Let us know what you think!

I've never made Campbell's bean with bacon cause mine is so good. You can make this with ham or bacon, I usually use bacon cause I never have the ham when I have the urge to make beans. I use small white beans, not great northern for every 2lbs of beans, I use 1lb of bacon. I cut the slices of bacon cross wise, so you end up with these small pieces of bacon. I half fry the bacon, to get rid of some of the fat, which I happen to like in the bean soup. I do the pre-cooking of the bacon in the same pan I'm going to cook the soup in. Add salt, a little pepper & onions. You can add other stuff, but this is the way I was brought up to make it & it's delicious. Bring to a boil & simmer for about 2 to 2-1/2 hours. Keep the beans covered with liquid. Check it often. I keep a tea kettle with simmering water to add, then you won't have to return to the simmer.

I like it more like soup, as opposed to thicker stuff. At 2-1/2hrs, it will probably be done, the beans will be soft.Check at 1-1/2 hours for taste, you may need more salt, w/o salt, it won't taste very good. Be sure to sort & wash the beans off first with clean fresh water. There will be dirt. Many people say to soak the beans over-night, but I never have & it always tastes great & is good winter food. Also, when I pre-cook the bacon, do it slowly & break apart the pieces. Don't brown it, just a little cooked. Personally the fat makes it taste so good. All the fat free stuff is for the birds.

I recently bought a giant can of Campbell's Bean and Bacon. My very favorite. I copied this recipe, and will follow this subject carefully. Nummy. Guess what I am having for lunch? Ha! Phyllis

I found this really cool website that offers recipes from restaurants, companies and hard to find recipes and other things.

phaedrus AT hungrybrowser.com He found a cookie for me. I literally had about four pieces of information to give him, and I can't believe it, but he found it. Hope you find your soup!