White Film on Glasses

How do I get my glasses to come out of the dishwasher clear instead of with this milky looking film on them? You can't feel the film or taste it, but it makes my glasses look terrible.

By Cricketnc from Parkton, NC

Answers:

White Film on Glasses

Crystal glasses should never be put into the dish washer, it makes them "etch", tiny scrapes on the polished surface. A glass, made of glass, will do the same thing over time. Since it is actually cutting into the polished surface, I am unsure if it is fixable. (04/23/2009)

By Dedeswrkshop

White Film on Glasses

A repairman told me this is from too much soap. Don't use the name brand detergent. Go to the dollar store and get their large inexpensive box of dish washer detergent. Put your glasses in the dishwasher with a cup of vinegar to help get the film off and then use the cheap detergent. After a few washings, the glasses will be spotless. You can also use the Walmart Great Value brand. (04/28/2009)

By kwgzzs

White Film on Glasses

Make sure that you have some kind of rinsing agent like Jet Dry in your dishwasher.
To remove the film just fill a dish with enough vinegar so that you can roll the glass in it, the film will come right off. Put back in dishwasher. I save the vinegar and reuse it for the same purpose if needed again. (04/28/2009)

By PICO

White Film on Glasses

Sometimes this is etching, and sometimes it is caused by the quality of the water or the type of detergent. When I had this problem, I tried different detergents, and found one that kept the glasses shining. In another house, with different water, I had to pour a cup of vinegar in the rinse cycle every time.

When I had some "unbreakable" duralex glasses, they always had a film on them. My friend who handwashed never had a problem. I have a couple of glass mugs that are cloudy; they are very old. However, I have a glass that I know is at least 36 years old, and it has been washed in the dishwasher for all of those years, and it is just as shiny as when it was new. So, sometimes, it is the quality of the glass, and there is not much that you can do. I don't think the price of the glass has anything to with it as jam jars are less likely to film than fancy glasses. (04/28/2009)

By louel53

White Film on Dishes
Removing White Film From Dishes
Hand washing shower wall
Removing Soap Scum from Shower Doors
Film Canister
Uses for Film Canisters
Apple shaped and stemmed glass dishes after cleaning.
Removing Cloudy Film on Glass
Antique Wood Furniture with Sticky Film
Cleaning Wood Furniture With a Sticky Film
🎄