White Marks on Laminate Flooring

Category Floors
If your laminate flooring has pale or white marks, they can be unsightly and difficult to remove. Use these tips to get your laminate floor looking good again. This is a guide about white marks on laminate flooring.

Take two tea bags, put in a cup, just about cover them with boiling water, leave it to cool, then put the liquid on the white marks on the laminate flooring. Just rub in gently with your fingers, leave for about half an hour, then remove some of the liquid with a tissue to check the result. The liquid (tea, which has tannin in - the colour agent) will have started to dry out. If the white mark is still evident leave for another 15 mins, then just wipe the area clean with a soft damp cloth. This worked for my laminate floor and it is now fully restored.

absolutely brilliant

I've got brown fingers now but I ain't bothered

Thanks for the fantastic tip 

I was helping my daughter one day by steam cleaning her laminate flooring, I left the steamer for a few minutes and when I returned it has left a white mark. I'm so desperate to get this white mark out, as the flooring has only been down a few months. Please help. I was thinking vinegar to oil, but am too scared to try anything in case it makes the stain worse.

By Lin

Best Answer

Never wash laminate flooring with water. Water leaves white residue. I either use Windex or white vinegar.

Wow thanks!2years ago i was taking wallpaper off my walls with a steamer,went to answer the phone to find when i came back the steamer block had turned and left a massive square white mark.i was mortified and for 2 years ive covered it with a rug.thought id try the tea bags and i couldnt believe it!it amazing.cheers!!!!.x

I accidentally used a cleaner made for vinyl floors on my laminate floors. The floors were left a mess, so I steam cleaned them. My floor is now covered with dirty white streaks. Can you tell me anyway to clean my entire floor besides by hand. I really need help. I am 75 years old and can't get down and do this by hand. Thank you for any help you can offer.

I tried this thank you so much I had a large white mark on my wood colored laminate floor from the steam cleaner. It took me 2x of leaving the tea on the floor, the first time for 1/2 hour the next for 45 minutes. Looks perfect! I am polishing the finished result with the rest of the floor. P.S. I removed the waxy residue with vinegar prior to the application I was afraid the wax might be a barrier to the stain.

Because you have a large area of damage I would call a professional to come in and restore the laminate. You should contact a flooring store to ask for a referral.

left steam cleaner on laminated floor and has left a white mark on it any idea's how to get rid of marks

How do I get rid of white faded spots on my floor?

You might have to use sandpaper, sand down to bare wood (laminate), re-stain and re-lacquer. Stop by your local hardware store and ask someone for help / advice?

how can I fix lighter spots on laminate flooring

I have a new laminate floor in kitchen which is only a few months old. It has developed bright spots in several areas that can't be removed. Look like liquid splash marks. Floor is dull and looks smudgy in areas, almost like a grease. I've used diluted vinegar water and several brands of laminate floor cleaners, all no difference. Someone please help.....

We had a gathering at our home and a guest brought margarita mix in a bag the bag was on the floor. Later we found that the mixture, that is a liquid form, seeped through the bag and onto the very dark wood laminate flooring causing white stains. Before we just go and replace 2 small pieces of laminate wood, can this be removed effectively?

Sounds to me its more than a stain, Anita. The acidic drink mix may have eaten through the finish of your laminate. You can check that by getting on your tummy, with your nose pretty much against the affected area, a very thin knife in hand (being careful of course) and see if the stain lifts up or if you can scrape it away. Use a magnifying glass if you have one. Can you see wood grain in the stained area? Lets hope the margarita mix didnt eat through the laminate: you should be able to re-stain and lacquer the area.

Try using a hairdryer, directed on the white area...It worked for me, on my wood table...

I have almost new laminate flooring. I never use any cleaner on it just my H2O mop (steam). About a week ago I noticed a large almost white spot on it right in the middle of my living room. Now today I have another by a chair. Help. Does anyone know how I can get rid of them and what causes it?

By Sandy from AR

While I don't have a laminate floor, I have often considered putting one in my house. Can you contact the store or dealer for help? You mentioned a steam cleaner you use, is it possible you left the pad in one spot too long? Hopefully you will find a solution. Good luck to you.

I used Homax (Brandname), WHITE RING REMOVER. It removes water marks and minor surface scratches. I think that I bought the product at Wal Mart.

I too had white marks on my laminate flooring as a result of leaving the steamer in one position. I have now successfully restored the colour; I put two tea bags in a cup, barely cover them with boiling water then when the liquid is cooled apply it to the affected area and just dab it in with your fingers, leave for about half an hour then wipe an area dry with tissue to test it, you may have to leave it longer. This has completely worked for my flooring. Apparently it's the tannin in the tea bag that restores the colour. From Linda

THANK YOU EVERYONE. I too left the steam mop on my laminate floor. It led a whitish mark outlining the mop head. Yikes. Two tea bags worked like a charm. Grateful. Deborah

I moved into a new apartment last night and accidentally made some black marks on the pergo floor. I used Mr Clean Magic Eraser to wipe off the marks, but it also made lighter bleach like marks on the floor where it was once the black marks. Now you can see clearly that there are white streaks over the floor. Can anyone suggest what I can do to get the floors back to the original color, please help!

Karen from San Francisco, CA

You should never use any thing on a Pergo floor than the Pergo cleaner, or water mixed with a little vinegar. I have a Pergo floor and that is all I have ever used on it. They will tell you that at the store, what you did was bleach the floor.

Has anyone ever had trouble with milky white spots on laminate flooring? I have these all over my laminate flooring for no rhyme or reason. I have always used mild cleaners ie., Pergo Floor Cleaner or H2O with just a dab of Windex or vinegar.

I feel like I am going crazy trying to figure this out and I have had no help from the company that installed it. Thanks a million.

Mary from Green Bay, WI

Answers:

Milky White Spots on Laminate Flooring

I've read a few websites after a google search and some stated an all purpose cleaner is fine to use, but the culprit may be that streaking is visible while floor is drying or too much cleaning agent is used. It was suggested to dry flooring after mopping. Hope this helps. (02/26/2008)

By Lorelei

Milky White Spots on Laminate Flooring

My husband does floors and people have called him about this problem. He refuses to lay this floor anymore. Even though it doesn't scratch easily, if small bits of water stay in one spot, it will leave a permanent spot. He suggests to run over the floor with a towel wrapped around a dust mop after you mop it. Just wrap the towel around and clasp together with a safety pin, take it off and wash for next use. This way you won't have to get on your hands and knees. If you have any other problems with it, let me know. Me and my husband would love to help. (02/27/2008)

By Elizabeth

Milky White Spots on Laminate Flooring

I forgot to add that you might want to speak to the store where you got the floor. This is a recurring problem my husband has had and the company should warranty the product. If it is a snap together laminate floor that is kind of like Pergo, the only thing that could be done is to take it up and replace. If it is real laminated or engineered plank hardwood (the top is like actual hardwood and not like countertop material) then it can be screened out and, in worse case, sanded and refinished. My husband does this for a living and I can give you some tips on how to try it yourself if the company doesn't help. Let me know. (02/27/2008)

By Elizabeth

Milky White Spots on Laminate Flooring

I would contact the company and try to get them to warranty it. You can make them reimburse you for take-up labor, the amount you spent on the floor, and also re-installation. Push hard for them to do this because sometimes, they are hard to deal with. If you try and they do not budge over a period of a couple of months, if the spots are big enough, you may be able to file it on your insurance as water damage. (02/28/2008)

By Elizabeth

Milky White Spots on Laminate Flooring

My dear hubby is in the flooring business and when I asked him about this, he said that it was called "blushing". Moisture is causing your problem. Always use only a damp mop. Hope this helps.

Kathy (03/04/2008)

By Kathy

Milky White Spots on Laminate Flooring

This suggestion may be completely irrelevant to your issue, but it is worth a try. I have laminate countertops that are painted and then sealed with a water based polyurethane. I doubt that is the same type of sealant on your Pergo type floors, but I had a white cloudy stain which was from setting something hot on it. Strange enough, but I took a hair dryer to the spot and it completely went away. Like I said, this may be completely irrelevant to your issue, but I thought I would throw it out there. You never know. (04/07/2008)

By megandgarr

Well, after reading all these suggestions. I tried them all.I thought I shared my experience since everyone help. I would like to contribute.

What really worked for me was Mr. Clean Eraser!! Since my goofy self did not use distilled water. The water residue is result from using water other than distilled. BTW, I had bamboo hard wood floors. Dark mahogany in color. I had the floor guys put a clear shiny coats on it as soon as they were done.Hope this help.Cheers!!