Whiter Whites - Tips For Washing White Clothing

What can I use in place of bleach for whitening whites?

Brian from St. Petersburg, FL

Answers:

Request: Whiter Whites - Tips For Washing White Clothing

Tips for washing white clothing. Post your ideas.

Answers:

Bluing

My mom used to use a product called Bluing for laundry. Do they even still have this? It worked great! (01/15/2007)

By lazisuzi

OxyClean Alternative

I like OxyClean, but it's expensive so I tried a product put out by Sun detergent that is also an oxygen cleaner. Seems to work pretty well. We have extremely hard water so I know how hard it is to get whites really white! (01/15/2007)

By Robin

Iron Out

I have lots of iron in my well water. If I use bleach, my whites turn orange. So I buy a product called Iron Out at Walmart. It is a powder sold in 2 sizes. The large size is much more economical and is 5 pounds in a plastic jug for about $10.00. It is great for whites, but has a warning about using on colors. I also use it to clean the iron sediment from the toilet tank and bowl, and prefer it to any of the toilet bowl cleaners I have tried. Other uses are also listed on the jug. (01/15/2007)

By Harlean from Arkansas

Dollar Tree

Dollar Tree sells an "oyx-clean" product made by Awesome and it IS awesome and only $1. (01/17/2007)

By Grandma Margie

Oxygen Cleaning Ingredients

Use a powder specifically for bleaching nappies white, or find one that has 'oxygen' cleaning ingredients. You mix a small amount of powder in water, and soak the item, then was the normal way. They're awesome! (01/19/2007)

By Cathy