Why is My Lawn Dying?

I used to have the nicest lawn on the block. For some reason my lawn is now patchy with bare spots and the grass doesn't have a deep root system. It's not grubs.

I can grab a handful any place on the lawn and pull; there are really no roots to hold it down. I have noticed in a few places there were little reddish brown ants could this be the problem? Please help.

By Dan from Justice, IL

Answers:

Why is My Lawn Dying?

As a general rule, it is best to water enough to wet the whole root zone on an infrequent basis. If your lawn is healthy and your soil is not compacted, give your lawn about three quarters of an inch (1.90 cm) to one inch (2.54 cm) of water once a week. As summer temperatures taper off to cooler weather, it's best to water less often.

Soil compaction can also lead to your lawn dying. It is important to till lawns adequately before establishment. All too often, people add just a couple of inches of soil before they seed or sod. Unfortunately, handling your lawn in this manner will lead to a shallow root system. Instead, it is best to till to a depth of six to eight inches (15.23 to 20.32 cm) before you plant.

To help deal with compaction and prevent the demise of your lawn, don't forget to aerate as needed. When you aerate your lawn, be sure to cover about 15% of the area with holes. Though this procedure can be tedious, it can go a long way toward saving you the disappointment of having to deal with your lawn dying before you eyes.

Other things that may lead to your lawn dying include improper mowing heights, thatch that is too thick, slopes or low areas, certain herbicides, insects, and diseases. If you believe a disease may be the cause of your lawn dying, take steps to identify the disease and rectify it quickly. There are many resources online that may be help you recognize diseases and other lawn conditions. If such resources fail to help and you still find your lawn dying, consider seeking the services of a lawn-care professional. Keep in mind that many diseases are caused by improper lawn care and take steps to take excellent care of your lawn.

Good luck. (04/30/2010)

By kffrmw88

Why is My Lawn Dying?

Call your county extension office. Maybe they will help you for free. Good luck. (04/30/2010)

By kffrmw88

I constantly feed my lawn. I cut up cardboard tubes into small pieces, like from paper towels and the roll inside toilet paper. This way I can also recycle them. Worms love the glue cardboard is made from. Worms keep soil healthy.

I also put fruit and vegetable scraps in my blender with a little water and pour that on the lawn.