Wildlife: Garden Spider Photo

Wildlife: Garden Spider Photo

Scared the heck out of me, too! This is a Black and Yellow Garden spider, a common spider found in gardens, I've been told. I have been gardening for 25 years and never came across this amazing spider. Of course when I first spotted it I had no idea if it was poisonous, so I was indeed scared. But that didn't stop me from getting my camera!

Afterward, I browsed the internet and found out they are not poisonous (few are). They help with pest control, they lay thousands of eggs in early fall and then die! I certainly admired this specimen, but I was not looking forward to a thousand more in my garden come next Spring. I like getting down and dirty in my garden, and I just pictured me screaming out every time one might run across my hand! They never did return. It was a sight to see, though. The web was a woven masterpiece!

By Deb H. from East Brunswick, NJ

Answers:

Wildlife: Garden Spider Photo

Gorgeous spider, love the colors! That web is so cool. But better you than me, lol, I would have been too chicken to take its picture. (04/22/2009)

By micksgirl

Wildlife: Garden Spider Photo

Awesome photo! I saw a similar spider last summer. Mine was yellow and black. I ran for my camera becuase I have also never seen one like this. My husband called it a 'banana spider'. (04/22/2009)

By mbnorton59

Wildlife: Garden Spider Photo

I have never seen one of these, before, either! Fascinating, what say? (04/22/2009)

By graymare47

Wildlife: Garden Spider Photo

I remember lots of those in the citrus groves in Florida. They are big and colorful, remind me sort of of Bette Midler. Glad to know they aren't poison, but still! (04/22/2009)

By kimhis

Wildlife: Garden Spider Photo

We have a bunch of these in NC too; the kids love them. Some of the "locals" call them "writer spiders" because of the zig-zags in their webs. (04/22/2009)

By mockingboyd

Wildlife: Garden Spider Photo

It's a wonderful garden spider. I had one in my garden. My husband and I would feed it insects and watch it spin a cocoon around them so it could be a midnight snack. It was fascinating. Its called a Argiope. Here is a link for more info on it.

http://www.fcps.edu/islandcreekes/ecology/black_and_yellow_argiope.htm (04/23/2009)

By Deegan

Wildlife: Garden Spider Photo

Found one like this in my son's garden in Kingston, Ontario, Canada. They must be all over! Was my first time seeing one, beautiful, but looks scary! (04/23/2009)

By catastrofy

Wildlife: Garden Spider Photo

OH, yuk! I would have killed the darn thing so quick! (04/30/2009)

By frugalelf

Wildlife: Garden Spider Photo

You can get rid of all spiders naturally. Using lavender, eucalyptus, and citric natural oils will kill them immediately. If you get natural lavender soap and use 1 tbsp to 1 qt. water and spray it around your house the spiders will never enter your house. If spider problem is bad increase the soap. You can use this any where and is not harmful to children or pets (05/05/2009)

By Sheba64

Black and Yellow Argiope
Wildlife: Black and Yellow Argiope (Garden Spider)
Spider on web with dew drops on it.
Spider Repellent Recipes
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Black Widow Spider Costume
A pile of old photos.
Making a Photo Quilt
🎉
🎄