Wildlife: Mockingbird

This is a female mockingbird at the bird bath. They love grapes and cherries, and they also feed them to their babies. They chase all undesirables off the grounds, whether it's a cat, crow, or squirrel.

They are very smart, because one time I was chasing a crow with a pellet rifle. When I hit the crow, he just shook his feathers a bit. Two mocking birds were in the trees on each side of him. As soon as the crow moved, they went after him from both sides. It seemed as if they were waiting for me to do my thing, so they could step in and finish the job!

By Leigh from Litchfeild County, CT

A female mockingbird perched on a birdbath.

Shooting birds with pellet gun? Thumbs down.

We had an old tree in our front yard with a mockingbird that lived in it. He was the meanest bird I've ever seen. When my cats went into the front yard, he'd swoop down and try to peck at their heads. He'd even try to land on their backs and grip them at their necks to peck at their heads. They were really traumatized by him. It got to a point, where he'd swoop down at us when we went into the yard or stood in our driveway. We'd fight over who's turn it was to get the mail. I'd never seen anything like him.

I have to agree with Lilac.Nothing deserves to be shot with a pellet gun.In most cases it only injures an animal. IMHO the only reason for killing an animal is if it's rabid or attacking another animal or human.

We have known for a long time that crows are very intelligent birds. Researchers are proving that they are smarter than we ever dreamed, with intelligence approaching that of dolphins. In a controlled experiment, they exposed crows to scary stimuli (a man in a mask running at them while flapping his arms and yelling) They learned very quickly to fly as soon as they saw him. Then their babies matured and went to live in their own territories, with no further contact with their parents (the crows had radio chips on). The crows had no fear of people since people didn't threaten them. The researchers would then approach the area each bird was in. The crows would catch sight of him, study him as he approached (he did not run, make a sound, flap his arms, or appear threatening in any way), then sound the alarm and fly away. This proved that the parent crows had somehow taught the 2cd generation to fear people wearing that mask. This is incredible. To torture such an animal is just horrible. I hope that you will reconsider, and put that pellet gun away. Mockingbirds are very smart birds, and you admire them - think how you would react if someone shot them. Crows are more intelligent, and do not deserve this kind of torture.

If birds (and especially mockingbirds) have a nest nearby and are raising little ones, they know that cats are just waiting for the opportunity to catch and eat their babies. It's quite natural for the birds to do anything they can to protect their young. Trying to chase the cats away and keep them away was nature working at its highest level.

Our wildbirds and animals are having a very difficult time of maintaining life as it is, and they continue to lose more and more of what was their natural habitat as man encroaches more and more into it. They really have few places to go to be safe, so they're coping in the best and only way they know in order to preserve the species.

As someone else pointed out, crows are wonderfully smart and can be taught so many things. They have a hard enough time in the wild these days without adding man to the list of their natural enemies.

Hopefully, you will put away that pellet gun, please. Save it for target practice on tin cans maybe.

Great photo of the mockingbird, they are interesting, except when the one by my house wakes me up so early in the morning! But I don't understand why you would want to shoot at the crow? What is it doing that is upsetting you so much? There must be a better way to deal with it, maybe if you let the Thrifty Fun community know what the problem is,we can help you brainstorm ideas to deal with it?

I love crows, they are so smart. I didn't think so when I was a kid, we had a bunch that lived in the pine trees next to the road by my house & when we'd ride our bikes down the road they'd dive-bomb us & scare us to death!! Looking back,it was probably spring & baby time. We now have crows that sit on the power lines that run by our house, they start squawking as soon as we open our front door in the morning. My little boy was terrified of them & didn't want to go outside to walk to the bus stop until I told him they were just glad to see him & were telling him "Good Morning Aaron!", so after that, to be polite we always answered them with "Good Morning Crows!" I think they knew we were talking to them!

December 5, 2011 Flag

The Mockingbird was enjoying our new fence in the garden. We have many of them in our area. And one can hear them too! They love to sound their presence as they fly and glide about the garden. Often they are on the ground foraging.

I like to imitate their call by curling my hand into a fist and "kissing" the side of it where the thumb is. I used to teach my students in science class about them and how to make the sound. Why don't you try it? And if and when you see a "Mockie" send him a sound. You will definitely get his attention.

By Bob35

Mockingbird Visits our Garden

What a wonderful photo and description! It reminds me of Harper Lee's To Kill A Mockingbird. Honestly, before this, I'd never even seen a photo of a mockingbird. Thanks for sharing and God bless! :)

Mockingbirds are nice but a pest. They run all my other birds away from the feeders.

I stand at the sliding glass door and when it sees me it flies away. Sorry I just don't like them.

Photos WildlifeJune 16, 2011
Squirrel eating a flower.
Protecting Bulbs from Wildlife
A chaffinch sitting on a rock by a garden pond.
Keeping Ponds Safe for Fish and Wildlife
Pond Fish
Protecting Pond Fish From Wildlife
Chalked-browed mockingbird opening its mouth.
Getting Rid of Mockingbirds