Wildlife: Oriole at the Feeder

This guy comes to visit at least 3 times a day. We give him half an orange once a week. One usually hears an oriole before he sees it. When I first heard his call, I looked up and couldn't see anything. Then all of a sudden, this guy leaves his hidden perch, treating me to a bright flash of color. I have yet to see a female, but if I can get a picture of her, I will post that also.

Source: I took this photo using a high speed setting and telephoto lens.

By Leigh from Litchfeild County, CT

I agree!

Love it. Wish we had such fun birds in our yard...just finches and (my favorite) cardinals.

Beautiful little bird. I wish we had them here in Florida too. I guess we're lucky to have the pretty cardinals, jays and mockingbirds and lots of the sweet little doves. We are frequently treated to the visit of one or more of the big water birds as well. We see a few robins early in the spring and once we had a lovely painted bunting at a platform feeder. What a thrill.

Thank you for sharing your Oriole with us.

We started getting a more varied bird population when my husband switched to a higher quality seed, plus we do quite a bit of gardening. In return, we get to see many different birds year round. This is the 1st male hummingbird arrival this year, for example.

We have orioles too. How do you give them the orange?

Dear Pennypacer, I have the oriole feeder on a shepards hook. I cut an orange in half and bore 2 holes about an inch apart, and then I put a peice of twist tie through them so that both ends are protruding on each side of the "navel" on the skin side. I then attach it to the top of the shepards hook with the twist tie. I eat the other half while watching for the oriole.

June 15, 2011 Flag

This spring I put up a oriole feeder, with the hopes of attracting these beautiful birds. What a surprise we had, when they arrived. One came to the window, tweeting and pecking.

Our feeder was not near the window. The little bird did this several mornings, alternating between our kitchen and living-room window. I think he was thanking us in his own way, or he wanted to come in. :) Have a good day.

By Sheila from Ontario

An oriole looking through the window from outside.

"Hello-is anybody in there"

Photos WildlifeJune 6, 2011
A glass hummingbird feeder.
Making a Hummingbird Feeder
Protecting a Hummingbird Feeder from Rain
Squirrel Feeder
Making a Squirrel Feeder
Butterfly Feeder
Making a Butterfly Feeder