Will Pool Water Harm Ducks

For the past few days we have had a Mallard duck couple that has been visiting our pool. We have been scaring them away because we didn't want them in the pool. Today we discovered a nest that had one egg that we suspect was laid yesterday. She returned about 30 minutes later and that is when we discovered she laid another egg.

I have been researching Mallard ducks to find out more about them and I learned that they will return to lay more eggs. Therefore, I'm not worried that she won't return, but I was just wondering what to do.

I have a dog that I let out into the backyard to exercise, I play catch with him and I know he won't mess with the nest. I have to exercise him daily and I don't intend on bothering the mother duck. I haven't touched any of the eggs, because I feel she won't return if we touch them.

We plan to allow her to lay more eggs and hatch them, but we do have a pool. Will the chlorine harm her or the ducks if she swims in the pool? If anyone has anymore information to share with me it would be greatly appreciated. If there is anything that I can do to help her or the ducks then that would be great.

Dre from CA

Answers:

Will Pool Water Harm Ducks

My mom used to rent a condominium in Myrtle Beach each year; and each year a mallard pair nested by the pool and swam in it with no ill effects. They were a pleasure to watch. (05/05/2008)

By Jilson

Will Pool Water Harm Ducks

Also, birds can't really smell. It is a myth that they will abandon their eggs if you touch them. I had a friend take eggs right out of the nest and put them back with no ill effects. (05/08/2008)

Will Pool Water Harm Ducks

We have 30 mallards, but they have never gone in our pool. But I'm sure as long as there is water, it shouldn't bother them. (05/30/2008)

By barrsbits

Mother duck in ducklings in a swimming pool
Will Pool Water Harm Ducks?
Cloudy water in an above ground pool.
Cloudy Water in an Above Ground Pool
backyard pool
Using Swimming Pool Water for Plants
duck nest
Ducks Not Sitting on Eggs
Holding a baby duck in hands.
Raising Ducks as Pets
🎄