General AdviceLegal
To Top

Will SSI Benefits Include Husband and Children?

I recently got a letter stating I was approved for a set time limit (just while I was under chemo, 20 months). The letter did not state an amount and I have tried to call them and get different answers from everyone. My husband had 2 heart attacks, a mild stroke, and has seizures at the age of 33. When I turned 33, I found out I had breast cancer. I know it sounds crazy, but we have lived off of 364 dollars a month for the last 3 years (welfare).


Does my husband and children get nothing? I have only worked 10 years of my life, but my husband has paid in all his credits. So I'm confused, like I said I called the main SSA office and my local office, I get 2 different stories. I tried to go on their website, but it always says try again later. Also my letter states that I was fully favorable from December 2010, but my lawyer says I won't get 5 months of that. (Oh yeah he never calls back either.) I just wanna know will I get the minimum or will they add my husband and children with my payments. God help me does anyone know this answer? Thank you.

By Angelia W.

We are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun this month! Click here to find out more...

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

May 21, 20130 found this helpful

I would think, if your husband is unable to work he should apply for his own disability. However, just because he has had all these health problems doesn't mean he is unable to work. He should go to the social security office and talk to them.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

May 21, 20130 found this helpful

Sorry I forgot to mention he has been fighting ssa for five years now. With no progress. Will I get a check for him? thanks

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
May 22, 20130 found this helpful

Does your husbands doctor agree with his filing for disability? He will need his doc to fill out the disability questionnaire. Keep fighting! Good luck to you both. It's a frustrating process.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
May 22, 20130 found this helpful

I would take the paper to the local social security office and ask them in person. You won't ever get help on the phone trust me.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
May 22, 20130 found this helpful

Many people confuse SSI with Social Security Disability. If you have enough quarters to be eligible for Social Security you will receive a benefit based on your earnings. The children of a disabled person who receives Social Security disability may also be eligible for a benefit amount. SSI is actually a federal welfare program for disabled people and is administrated by the social security office, but is not actually social security.

As with entitlement programs, family income will be taken into account, so befits could be reduced if your husband has income, but welfare benefits will not reduce an SSI benefit. The maximum SSI benefit is set by the federal government, but some states may also pay an additional amount.

Now, if your social security benefit happens to be less than the SSI maximum, you may be able to get both the social security and a partial SSI benefit. I know this may be more confusing. I was a welfare worker for years, and this is why I know about the system. You probably need more information about what you will be receiving, and the months your attorney says you won't receive may be the amount of his fee which will be paid to him.

In California we pay a supplement called SSP. If you receive SSP you are not eligible for food stamps, but your family could still receive them. You also would not receive welfare benefits from your state, but the family still can. Hope this helps.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

May 23, 20130 found this helpful

Your child should be able to get benefits for the time that you were receiving benefits. I have received SSI since 1994 & my daughter started receiving roughly half the amount of my monthly benefits in addition to mine. You have to call about it. You can find out about it at It is called SSI for dependant children. They do not advertise it, though.

I missed out on my daughter receiving her benefits since birth. Someone asked me about it, I checked online, called medicare, made appt, & it happened. Now I could kick myself for not knowing about it 3 years earlier. Good luck to you. Dana

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
May 23, 20130 found this helpful

I would think so. I am 75 yrs. old, and receive $16.00 a month just for myself. I do know it is based on your family's income. Do not call them, but DO go down there and tell them in person that you want to see a supervisor now because you are not getting any answers concerning this problem.

Explain to the supervisor what they are putting you through. I fought with SSI for six months, trying to get help. It was a nightmare,but "I WON". they had to pay me for those six months (retroactive). I told them I was tired of them giving me the run around, and I wanted to know now. I live in Virginia. I hope this can help you. God Bless you and your Family.

roadrouser AT

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

May 23, 20130 found this helpful

Hi - you need to realize that no 2 situations with SSI or SSD will be the same so no matter what anyone tells you on here or any other place on the Internet may or may not have any bearing on your personal situation.

You have to go in person to the Social Security office for your area and have a list of questions that you want answers to.

When your name/number is called - go to that person and get them to write their name on paper that you have with you. Write down the date also.

Please - do not bore them with when or where you have tried to get information as that is totally irrelevant to them and of no use to you at their office. However - do take any letters you have received about your case and of course - social security cards and other ID for everyone that you are trying to get information about.

Then ask your questions as you have listed on your paper and be sure to write down exactly what the person tells you so they know that you are going to keep this info for future reference. Do not be concerned about how long it takes to get your answers as that is why they are in that job.

If they cannot answer your questions then ask them who can give you answers. If you feel you need a supervisor then - that is the time to ask for one (but not when you first walk in!).

Most questions can be answered but there will be many forms and other things that you or your husband may have to complete before other benefits will be approved.

As a general rule - most benefits will be retroactive back to the date you first applied so it would be beneficial for you to go as soon as possible.

There is help - may take a long time & many forms/doctors etc - but there is help for the ones who really need it. Do not wait - take your papers and go ASAP.

I am retired and this is my area of expertise so please try to take care of this without delay.

We all wish you the very best and would like to hear from you when this is finalized as your experience may help someone else find the right answers.

Just remember - your case is unique so take it to the official office.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

Related Content
Business and Legal Legal General AdviceMay 21, 2013
ripening rose hips
Health Benefits of Rose Hips
older blind woman sitting on a bench
Receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
Last will and testament document.
Does Receiving Inheritance Affect SSI?
Childs cupped hands holding coins
Will My Child Receive SSI?
Back to School Ideas!
Summer Ideas!
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Desktop Page | View Mobile

Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us

© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Published by .

Generated 2017/08/14 12:12:05 in 764 msecs. ⛅️️ ⚡️
Loading Something Awesome!