Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Window Treatment Advice

Window treatments are an integral part of decorating a room. They also are chosen functionally based on the exposure and size of the windows. This is a guide about window treatment advice.

For really frugal and warm curtains, I purchased two of those fleece throws that are on sale for under $5 and used the inexpensive gold clips. The two throws fit a 76 inch picture window nicely, and they come in dark colors also nice for wintertime. Mine came with a nice cloth bow tied around it which I used for tiebacks.

Frugal Window Treatment

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 16

I've always had an unconventional way of decorating and this is just one of many examples. This kitchen window treatment is actually a bed sheet topped with a valance.

Burgundy Carpet

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

When installing new curtains in a room with burgundy carpet, it is important to match the color well. to tie the room together. This is a guide about curtain color for burgundy carpet.

Easy Window Shade 1

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 4

Why struggle with putting up store bought shades and mechanics? Use your favorite fabric to make a great shade. I hot glued mine right to the valance. I roll them up when I need the light to come in.

I bought a 99 cent shower curtain, mostly because the pattern/color was so right - and 10 months later it's still going and we are thinking of packing up. So a word to students and other transients - maybe the cheap colorful version will do you just fine for as long as you need it.

Double window treatment

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

Measure your window/windows. Purchase fabric to fit the window"s width and length. Use contrasting colors to make your window covering interesting.

Being a new homeowner I didn't have enough curtains for all my windows, particularly the small kitchen window above the sink. I took a pillowcase and split the seams and cut it in half at the end, hemmed them and made a temporary pair of curtains for the window. They fit perfect and the pattern matches the wallpaper in the kitchen!

April 5, 2016 Flag

I have blinds on my window. Would you put a sheer scarf valance or drapes?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I don't have anything but the blinds (mini) on my windows. I like the minimalist look - BUT I would have sheers if I were to put anything up. Double full to-the-floor sheers! Good luck!

November 6, 2007 Flag

I need to find an attractive, inexpensive way to cover a small vertical window next to my front door. The window is 35" long and 7" wide. Any suggestions would be appreciated! =)

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Use contact paper. I did a window years ago with a stained glass pattern and it is still looking good.

June 4, 2013 Flag

I have brown couches, tan carpet, and white walls. What color should I go with for curtains? Also, I have lots of black frames and a black entertainment center. Help!

By Ambr L from Colorado Springs, CO

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

A curtain with design that includes these three colors and a brighter accent color as the main color in the curtain. Then add a few pillows of the bright color in the curtains.

January 29, 2013 Flag

Turning to my ThriftyFun friends again! I am moving to house with a rectangular window that has an arched top. I'm wanting to cover the whole window, not just a portion where the window is arched. The window is at the front of the house so nothing ugly.

This is a bedroom for a night worker who is sleeping in the day. I have black out drapes for the window, but I'm wanting to put up blinds in addition. I can't afford custom made blinds. Can you give me any frugal ideas. Thanks

By tx.Betty from TX

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have seen this thrifty method several times: just place a drape over the arch as if it were a regularly shaped window. The arch is lovely from the outside, and covered from the inside like a rectangular window. You lose the inner beauty of the arch, but the window treatment is fairly reasonably priced.

August 5, 2012 Flag

I moved into a studio apartment with Mexican floor tiles. The tile pattern has some with a dark blue and sunny yellow design. I have a grey comforter (neutral). The studio is small and I need curtains, but I can not decide what to do for them. I can't decide between grey and yellow, solid blue, solid yellow, or orange for the Mexican tile. A few ideas will help, thank you.

By Colleen

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I would add to the other answers, match the walls to make the apartment look larger. I liked the idea of using sheets - been there, done that. The fewer colors, the the larger the apartment will look. Hope this helps.

August 20, 2009 Flag

Any window treatment ideas for sliding doors besides the usual vertical blinds? I have a sliding door in my living room and in my bedroom that both go out to a terrace. Thanks for any ideas.

By Georgie6 from Queens, NY

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I know they are more expensive, but plantation shutters are great. I have them on all my sliding glass doors and many of my windows. I got tired of changing drapes when I changed my decor, for the shutters go with everything. It's easy to control the amount of light you let into the room, plus you can direct the light so that it is indirect. They are also easy to clean.(They don't trap dust as easily as drapes do.) A gentle push is all it takes to open or close them. Mine are over 12 years old and I have had no problems.

August 25, 2013 Flag

Can I have wood blinds on 3 windows in the same room with white pleated sheers on a sliding glass patio door? The blinds are definitely wood so they are brown. If not, then the sheers will go because I love the functionally of the blinds. That being the case I don't know what to put on that sliding glass door. Also I don't intend to put curtains over the blinds in order to tie to two together. Thanks

By weinerdog41 from Ft. Worth, TX

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Lose the sheers.

January 11, 2016 Flag

We just bought a new house and I am not much of a decorator. I need some help on what's best to put on these windows, in the kitchen and the living area. We will get a brown living room set and a brown dining room set as shown. Thank you.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 5, 2013 Flag

The predominant color in my house is shades of brown with all the furniture being wooden with a dark brown and golden upholstery. The wardrobe and the showcase in the wall also have a brown laminate. The walls are white and the floor has cream colored ceramic tiles. While cream and brown are obvious choices, I feel they would make the room look dull without color. I would like to experiment with light blue curtains and a deep blue carpet, but wondering if that would be too gaudy a look. Also would be repeating the same curtain colour in all the rooms look good? Please advise.

By Sam

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Blues, both light and dark, would go very well with brown and cream colors. You can experiment with small splashes of other colors by using throw pillows for an inexpensive solution. If you don't like the effect, the pillows can be used on a bed instead. There are no hard and fast rules regarding color - remember when the adage said "blue and green should never be seen without a color in between?"

Who thought that one up? What makes YOU feel good? What do YOU like? It doesn't matter what the "experts" say; the important thing is that you like it, yourself. You're the one who lives with it. You can also add splashes of other colors, coordinated or contrasting, by using wall decorations or pictures, vases with dried branches or flowers, place mats/tablecloths, lampshades, etc.

You don't have to use the same colors in all rooms, but if you like it, do it. Sometimes, depending on the room, a contrasting color might be a great way to focus the eye in a certain direction. If there's something unique about an adjacent room that you'd like to be seen, a contrasting color can do it.

The same or similar colors for adjacent rooms can give a feeling of space to small places. Try standing in different parts of a room and looking at what you see in adjacent rooms. Picture the adjacent room in the colors you're considering. Good luck, and have fun!

July 5, 2013 Flag

I have a gold strip sofa, 2x2 seaters, magnolia walls, yew furniture, and darker magnolia colour carpet. It is all very neutral. I cannot bring myself to make a decision and my husband is useless for help

By Susan

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Lace. Let the light in with class and lighten up some of the dark colors you mentioned. It will lend elegance to the room both from the inside and the outside. I hope that helped. Sandi/PBP

June 22, 2013 Flag

My living room is painted in orange and lemon. Now I am finding it hard to get a nice color of curtain and couch that will go with it. Can you help please?

By Shakirat

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I'd buy the furniture I wanted and re-paint the walls

August 1, 2007 Flag

Suggestions For Easy Window Treaments

Suggestions For Easy Window Treaments

I have a window in desperate need of window treatments. Can anyone suggest something easy to do that 2 rambunctious boys won't tear down? Both windows are aproxx. 6' x 4'.
Thanks!

Kathy from Parker, CO

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have used contact paper the frosted look one.

April 6, 2012 Flag

I have a braided rug in my family room that I cannot afford to replace. The rug is burgundy in color. My sofa is brown. The walls are burgundy and cream. I want to put up curtains that will go with brown and burgundy. The curtains need to be just valances. I would like more color in this room, but I have no idea what color curtains would go with a brown couch and burgundy rug.

By Rocky

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I would go with a cream or sage green, and make or buy some pillows to match the curtains.

February 28, 2012 Flag

I currently have a total window wall about 18 feet long and 12 feet high. I am tired of pinch pleated drapes. Are there any other ways to do this wall that will block the sun? Currently this is a hot room as it gets the sun almost all day. Right outside the window is a parking lot which also adds heat, so I am not trying to preserve any view. Please help. Aloha and peace from Maui.

By Pamela C

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If you sew, you can make a simple casing drape. Use a thick drapery fabric (can be pricey), or bed-sheets lined with other bed-sheets to go across the wall. You can also use grommets or tab loops; run that through a rod for a contemporary look.

For cleaning ease you should think about using several panels across that expanse, and doing so will also make it possible to pull back just a few panels in the spots the sun isn't beating down on.

I love this site for inspiration:

http://www.bhg.  ;email=635964526

I have a kitchen with black and taupe granite countertops. The room is painted taupe and the cabinets are medium oak. There is a tan backsplash. I need to know what color window treatments would look best with these colors.

Load More
Home and Garden Home Improvement Decorating Window TreatmentsAugust 9, 2013
Easy Window Shade 1
Easy Window Coverings
Photo of a window made more private using contact paper.
Making a Window More Private
Arched Window
Making a Curtain for an Arched Window
Burgundy Carpet
Curtain Color Advice for Burgundy Carpet
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 26, 2017 at 1:20:39 AM on 10.0.0.192 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.