Window Treatment Advice

Window treatments are an integral part of decorating a room. They also are chosen functionally based on the exposure and size of the windows. This is a guide about window treatment advice.

French doors with sheer window curtains.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

Finding just the right window coverings for you french doors will help to create the look you are trying to achieve on these rather formal doors. This is a guide about window coverings for french doors.

Burgundy Carpet

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

When installing new curtains in a room with burgundy carpet, it is important to match the color well. to tie the room together. This is a guide about curtain color for burgundy carpet.

Purple curtains in a bedroom.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

Choosing a complementary or even contrasting color for your bedroom curtains can help achieve the overall color scheme you are seeking. This is a guide about bedroom curtain color advice.

Color Coordinated Curtains in Modern Home

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 3

Choosing just the right color curtains can complete the overall color scheme of your room. This guide contains curtain color advice.

Arched Window

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about making a curtain for an arched window. Making a curtain for an arched window is not as difficult as it may seem.

Kitchen Window Treatment

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about kitchen window treatment color advice. Choosing window treatment colors for your kitchen can be done to coordinate or contrast with the existing color scheme.

Easy Window Shade 1

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This guide contains easy window treatments. Whether it's for privacy or shade, there are many ways to cover your windows.

Frugal Window Treatment

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This guide is about frugal window curtains. Purchasing drapes, window curtains, or coverings can be expensive.

I have blinds on my window. Would you put a sheer scarf valance or drapes?

I don't have anything but the blinds (mini) on my windows. I like the minimalist look - BUT I would have sheers if I were to put anything up. Double full to-the-floor sheers! Good luck!

I'm not sure if blinds make a big difference at all. I have all three looks at my house. On the kitchen windows, I have just a valance. In my living room I have floor to ceiling sheers. In the bedrooms I have regular short drapes on one window, and in another room, lace curtains with a valance. You can suit yourself, really.

Can I have wood blinds on 3 windows in the same room with white pleated sheers on a sliding glass patio door? The blinds are definitely wood so they are brown. If not, then the sheers will go because I love the functionally of the blinds. That being the case I don't know what to put on that sliding glass door. Also I don't intend to put curtains over the blinds in order to tie to two together. Thanks

By weinerdog41 from Ft. Worth, TX

Lose the sheers.

I think you can make just about anything work if you want it to. However, these two types are quite different. Do you need anything over the patio doors? Maybe just leave them uncovered if you don't need the privacy or light filtering function. Otherwise, perhaps you might want to think about a vertical blind in a brownish/tan fabric to match the wood color, sort of, or a fabric color that matches the wall color, so the blinds kind of make the window disappear when they are pulled.

If you like the sheers, maybe you could use a swag or something over the other windows, to give the room a sort of open, airy, beach house sort of feel.

We just bought a new house and I am not much of a decorator. I need some help on what's best to put on these windows, in the kitchen and the living area. We will get a brown living room set and a brown dining room set as shown. Thank you.

What do you suggest I install on my sliding glass door other than the old vertical blinds. The sliding glass door and surrounding glass is 144 inches wide (wider than average). We are constantly going in and out that door to the sun room. Sun/heat and privacy are not an issue. Also, in the same room are 3 fairly large windows for which I'm leaning toward faux blinds. So whatever is on the sliding glass door has to coordinate with those 3 windows.

The previous owner installed pleated drapes with pleated sheers underneath on the door as well as the windows. I've taken down the drapes; I don't mind the sheers, but hate the look of the pleats. I could put a cornice board to cover the pleats, but then I'd need another cornice board above the 3 windows. I think that's probably more than I'd want to spend. Any recommendations?

By weinerdog41 from Ft. Worth, TX

I switched out vertical blinds on my patio door, put up a decorative rod and hung grommet top curtain panels. We're in and out of that door often as well and we appreciate the ease of sliding the grommet panels aside. I used white lightweight panels but use whatever works in your room. I also have blinds on the other windows in the room and they go together nicely.

We have a two story split foyer Colonial house. Would it look odd from the street if I have plantation shutters in two windows on the front of my house in the living room, and curtains on two windows in another room that's also located on the front of the house? The upstairs front windows would have curtains as well.

By carla from Greensboro, NC

No, I don't think it would look odd to do as you wish on your windows on your home, so try it. If you don't like it change it. Windows are like we dress now days, everything goes, good luck.

Thanks so much for your feedback!

I have to agree. I think it would look fine to do it differently.

I need help decorating my small living room. I have two colors on my wall. The top portion is cream and the bottom half is sage green. My furniture is black leather and my floors are dark frown hardwood. Please give my suggestions on what color to use for window treatments as well as accessories. Thanks for any help.

Tammy from North Carolina

I personally would go with the sage green for window treatments, or a pattern with the green and brown and cream in it. Just take those three colors and use them for accessories, maybe adding a little black here and there

the picture in my mind is wood blinds that match the color of the floor with a fabric covered valance at the top. a nice pattern picking up on the colors of the wood blind and either the furniture or the wall colors. chances are slim you could find something with all the colors but if you could and it had any other small accent colors you could get pillows or rugs to match that accent color for splash.

You need a patterned fabric to go with all the solid colors you have. Try to find something that has all those colors in it..it will look like you used all the colors on purpose. Gold would be a good color then for throw pillows and scatter rugs.

I have this bay window in my living room/computer room and I would like to put up some other type of window treatment other than curtains, what do you all suggest that would be a good change.
I appreciate anything you all can share with me.

Teresa from Va.

I find that vertical blinds work very well. Check the ads in the weekend paper - they are fairly inexpensive and there are a variety of styles to choose from. They do a great job of insulating too.I have had them for five years and never had a problem. Hope this helps.

Go to "Hunter Douglas window treatment "or search for "Window Treatment for a Bay Window", lots of info & pictures there, good luck.

I am in need of instructions for making a sunburst window treatment to fit into an arched window top. I know it's gathered around the half circle of the arch and in the bottom center the excess fabric is gathered into a rosette.

Any responses will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Nelwyn from Bunkie, LA