Wiring Carrying Low Voltage with Breaker Off

What could cause the wiring in my house to maintain a low voltage current when the main breaker is turned OFF? We have unplugged all of the surge protectors, cable boosters, computers, microwave, etc. that may have a capacitor allowing for potential bleed-back. We have even turned of the external breakers for the HVAC unit and still have a low voltage current (<20volts) running through the lines.

Answers

According to this blog, you may have other circuits running in close proximity that do have live wires: https://diy.sta  -backfed-voltage

It's hard to say without much more information about the circuits, but it is likely capacitive coupling between closely routed circuits. I've seen over 70 volts when testing a circuit that shared a conduit with a live circuit. Old meters didn't pick this up because they had relatively low internal impedance that allowed the voltage to drain quickly, my good digital has a very high impedance that does not shunt the voltage as fast as it builds up so I see the 70 volts(but is good for testing low amperage circuits). Capacitive coupling of this nature is very low total energy, kind of like a static charge it can't supply much current.

This is definitely good information; however, my issue is occurring with the MAIN breaker to the house turned OFF which should eliminate any current across all lines, correct? Again, we have unplugged all surge protectors, microwave, etc. that has a capacitor that could potentially bleed back into the system therefore I am at a loss as to where it is coming from.