Witch Hazel as a Facial Astringent

Category Cleansing
Woman Applying Witch Hazel to Her face
Witch hazel can be a very effective natural astringent and facial cleanser. This is a guide about witch hazel and tea for facial astringent.

I mix equal portions of witch hazel with distilled water. In this will go a few drops of almond oil and tree tea oil. Sometimes I squeeze some aloe vera in. I use regular cotton pads with this for after cleansing and for a quick cleaning. Proportions can be changed according to skin type. I have never made pre-made pads, but it would be quite easy to have the pads soak in this and remove from an airtight container, one by one.

Source: Devised by myself over time.

By Carol from Canada

After I brew some green tea, I put the warm tea bags in a bowl and douse them with witch hazel which helps cool them off. I then put them on my face for a few minutes. It's a great natural astringent, and it brightens my face instantly.

Source: Tried it on a hunch. I knew they worked separately, so why not together?

By Dorinmoz from Sugar Land, TX

I have used witch hazel for quite a few years as a natural astringent rather than the more expensive facial astringents. It works well for me, I have combination skin, oily/dry, and I use it in the morning and again before I go to bed. It seems to also help mild breakouts. It also has an antiseptic quality and is good for minor skin irritations. I try to find the store brand to get the very best price.

By Amy from Columbus, Ohio

Answers:

Witch Hazel For Facial Astringent

Witch hazel is really effective at what it does, but it isn't the most pleasant smelling substance in the world. My sons and daughter use it for their faces. What I do is add a couple of drops of peppermint oil or cinnamon oil, not enough to counter the effect of the witch hazel but enough to make it more pleasant smelling. (04/05/2009)

By Mad Rabbit